6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2016 7:43 AM by Roei Tzoref

Zoom Speed Variation

KennyB RunnerDuck Level 1

I'm new to After Effects I've been struggling for a few days trying to get a smooth "zoom" in on a JPG photo. I keyframe the in point, go to the keyframe out point.and using "Scale" and "Position" zoom in the picture. When I render it the zoom starts out very fast and then slows way down by the end. I've tried adjusting "Keyframe Velocity", "Keyframe Interpolation" and "Keyframe Adjustments" to no avail.

Is there any way to make the zoom at the same rate across the entire movie?

• 1. Re: Zoom Speed Variation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Animation --> Keyframe Assistants --> Exponential Scale

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Zoom Speed Variation

I've selected the keyframe markers at both in and out, right click to select Animation - Keyframe Assistant but Expotential Scale is grayed out, not sellectable.

• 3. Re: Zoom Speed Variation
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need to select the Scale property, not the keyframes.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Zoom Speed Variation

I my not be making myself clear. I go to Transform in the Properties and select Scale. I set a Scale Kryframe at frame number 1. I go out fifteen second and zoom way in with Scale which sets the second Keyframe. When I render it the Zoom effect starts out fast and then slows way down. What I want is the Zoom effect to to appear at a constant speed for the duration of the clip.

• 5. Re: Zoom Speed Variation
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do exactly what you have done. Then select Scale in the timeline. Then go to Animation>Keyframe Assistant>Exponential Scale.

This will set a keyframe at every frame and change the speed of the zoom effect to one that's more natural.

The other option would be to turn the layer into a 3D object, add a camera to the composition, and then animate the position of the camera.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Zoom Speed Variation
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                    The other option would be to turn the layer into a 3D object, add a camera to the composition, and then animate the position of the camera.

creating a camera is an overkill if all you want is to zoom one layer. you probably want the same perspective, not use DOF or 2 nodes camera and not include any other 3D layers to move in the process so all you really need to do is set the 3D switch for the layer you want to "scale" and use the Z position property for the layer to zoom into it by making it come closer (in Z space) into Ae's default camera.