14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 1:00 PM by enoversum

Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles

enoversum

Hey there,

I searched and seeked through the whole interweb, but hardly anyone seems to have ever had such a problem, so I am guessing this is the right place to ask and hopefully be helped . Short version is: Photoshop CS5 (x64) is constantly crashing when editing a layer style.

I recently installed my CS5 Design Premium on a new laptop (Fujitsu Lifebook AH351) and am having severe problems with Photoshop CS5. On first run everything was fine, and it kept that way for a while. Now everytime I try to edit a layer style Photoshop crashes immediately. I do not need to alter anything, just open the layer style, press OK and Photoshop is gone. I can workaround by resetting preferences which works until next reboot, no matter if I change ANYTHING on the settings or not. Had tried this on the initial PS release and on the latest update (12.0.4). Once I reset settings again, I can work on layer styles again. Did anyone of you have a similar problem or a hint at what I might look?

The Lifebook has a decent feature which I suspect to somehow be the culprit of this case: it has an onboard graphics unit and a separate GPU (nVidia GForce GT 525M) which can be added in on a program-to-program basis. Photoshop indeed recognizes it and lets me activate OpenGL features as well, so from that point it seems fine. The internal GPU cannot be disabled since you connect your monitors to it.

Some data about my system:

Fujitsu Lifebook AH531

• Intel® Core™ i5-2410M
      • RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
      • 750 GB SATA HDD 5400 U/Min
      • Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (up to date)
      • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M with 1GB VRAM

Photoshop CS5 x64

• no plugins in use/installed
      • no settings changed, not even shortcuts

Thanks in advance

enoversum

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (like trashing prefs by keeping ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop) yet?

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
            enoversum Level 1

I can workaround by resetting preferences which works until next reboot, no matter if I change ANYTHING on the settings or not. Had tried this on the initial PS release and on the latest update (12.0.4). Once I reset settings again, I can work on layer styles again.

If this is not conclusive whether I did trash preferences or not please let me know .

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Sorry, I read your orginal post inattentively.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The internal GPU cannot be disabled since you connect your monitors to it.

Could be the problem. If the layer styles window is drawn using the wrong GPU and there is a resource/ communication conflict with the two, things will almost inevitably go boom... Short of toying with the graphics driver and enforcing all windows and sub-windows invoked by an application to be drawn using a specific GPU, I see no way of fixing this, if indeed you cannot turn off the GPU completely in the BIOS or by other means...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                  enoversum Level 1

Hey there,

yeah, is there a way, some kind of log that could tell me that there might be the conflict you mentioned, to narrow it down?

For the nVidia GPU there is a tool shipped with the drivers where you can set the GPU to be used for specific programs, and Photoshop is set to use the nVidia GPU (which is reflected by its entry in the Photoshop settings where I can enable OpenGL). A little finding, I at times cannot adjust the mode of OpenGL, could that be a hint of a conflict?

As far as I understood it is not possible to completely disable the onboard graphics, since the monitors are directly connected to it. I tried disabling it under Windows, which resulted in, well, a black screen . It seems there is no way around this. But if problems like these occur, a separate GPU in a laptop is rendering itself useless, and I wouldn't think there is no way around this then .

Strange it is that after resetting settings, Photoshop works smoothly.

Thank you for your help so far!

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                    enoversum Level 1

Maybe this could give a little clue: I am sure I just forgot about this (since it is some weeks ago when I installed everything), but on first start after installing Photoshop, it crashes immediately, and some compatibility assistant tells me it has put Photoshop to run with compatibility settings from now on or that these settings have been applied. I could easily reproduce it by simply renaming the .exe file.

What compatibility setting has been applied isn't obvious, but it might be related to the overall situation. Right-clicking on the .exe file doesn't show anything in the menu that looks like any compatibility mode (i.e. run as Windows XP etc.).

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                      enoversum Level 1

Funny replying to myself repeatedly. It seems I have found the problem with no solution in sight. My findings are as follows:

1. I am running two external monitors on my laptop (HDMI and VGA), the laptop screen is off. If I unplug one screen, Photoshop is fine with me. No crashes.
                      2. In nVidia settings you can choose what GPU is being used for specific programs. Changing it to the internal one, Photoshop is fine with me. No crashes. Crappy performance.

I came to the idea of it having to do with dual monitors in my long way through help forums, and one thread here (on problems with 4 monitors) suggested to disable the ScriptingSupport.8li via re-naming which didn't work for me nonetheless. Now it seems up to me whether I'd love to farewell either my powerful GPU or my second monitor for working with Photoshop.

Still, does anybody have a notion of what else I could possibly do? I won't assume Fujitsu to offer a fix for this, since it is hard to track down precisely where the problem comes from.

All the best

enoversum

Edit: BTW, Windows settings confirm both screens are handled by/connected to the internal GPU, no matter what Photoshop is using ultimately. That seems like normal behaviour, and I cannot switch since the two ports are on the internal card.

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                        Level 7

The GPU maker (Nvidia) is the one who needs to investigate and possibly provide updated drivers, not the system integrater (fujitsu in your case).

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                          enoversum Level 1

Thanks, seems I need to check with nVidia then. If anyone has another hint of what I might do to resolve this another way, please let me know .

• 10. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Have you checked the computer maker's web site to see whether they might have any updated display drivers you could download and install?

With notebook computers you generally have to go through the computer maker's site, not nvidia.com.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                              enoversum Level 1

Yeah, I had checked, while it turned out they only use the standard nVidia driver, no special modification. I though know what you mean.

By a blind idea I went a complete different road and uninstalled some software which was ZoneAlarm, WindowBlinds and Spybot, while the latter had been installed AFTER the problems occured. So far no crashes. I'll test it more prominently to be sure, but it now seems I may have hunted it down. Whatever it really is that conflicts there.

Is such a shitload of problems and possible causes for them as common for Mac environments as it is for their Windows counterpart?

• 12. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

WindowBlinds was probably to blame.  That's a bad app that modifies Window metrics and does generally bad things to the UI environment in pursuit of a different look.

There are perhaps more options for things you can do (wrong) to Windows, such as screw up the display metrics with StarDock software, simply because Windows is more popular - but if you're not doing frivolous things with your system it can be as stable and clean working as a Mac system, if not better.  Macs have plenty of their own problems.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                                  enoversum Level 1

So far it is stable, so it looks like one of those two (ZoneAlarm or WindowBlinds) is the one to blame, at least in conjunction with my new laptop and the configuration at hand (it had worked before, on two different computers). Glad it's supposively WindowBlinds since I didn't have much use for it since quite some time. I will file this whole story under 'keep your f**king system clean' and would like to thank you all for helping out on this!

It is a rumour that's probably not gonna stop too soon that Macs are more stable as a general rule. Love to hear it is not .

• 14. Re: Photoshop CS5 x64 crashing while editing layer styles
                                    enoversum Level 1

Just if anyone is interested: WindowBlinds off the system, never had a single crash since then. All back to normal, so it must have been exactly what Noel said. Happy me, thank you .

1 person found this helpful