7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 1:36 PM by rode40

OPENING A PROJECT

rode40 Level 1

I am currently working on a wedding video.  I have created two versions of this project, a finished version and a trial version that I use to play about with the various tools etc to find out how to do things and practice different effects etc.  This is to avoid doing something "disatrous" to the finished version.  Is it possible to open both projects at the same time so that I can switch quickly and easily from one to the other?

• 1. Re: OPENING A PROJECT
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, Premiere Elements does not allow you to have two instances or two projects open at the same time. Sorry.

• 2. Re: OPENING A PROJECT
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Your workflow is a good one. I often do similar, using Save_As to give me a current, "working" Project to experiment with, leaving the original Project untouched.

However, and as Steve says, one can ONLY have one Project Open at a time, and one can ONLY have one instance of PrE running at the same time.

If you need to do Copy/Paste operations, between the two Projects, you might want to look at a Clipboard "extender," ClipMate. This utility is highly recommended by many users. One still has to toggle Open/Closed between the Projects, but one can now Copy from one, and Paste into another.

BTW - PrPro (PrE's "big brother") has the same limitation, but because it also uses Sequences (think mini-Projects within one Project), it does offer a useful alternative, as one can easily Copy/Paste between Sequences within that one Project. It also allows one to Import one Project into another.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: OPENING A PROJECT
              rode40 Level 1

Hi Steve/Bill

Many thanks for your very prompt replies and advice which is much appreciated.  I find that by using a "play" version I can safely try things out without risk of zapping my as yet unfinished project out into the wide blue yonder or making stupid changes that have to be undone.  I have also recently purchased the book

' Adobe Premier Elements for Dummies' which is a great help to me as I am still feeling my way with elements and the more I learn the more I come to realise what a great programme it is.  Once again many thanks for your advice.

Regards

Roy

• 4. Re: OPENING A PROJECT
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Roy,

You are already ahead of many, with regards to your workflow. This ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail on Saving, and the variations of that process.

While I do not know that particular Dummies book, I have been impressed by many more in that general series, even their "wine" books, and I have a complete library by some of the most noted in the industry, such as Oz Clarke, Andrea Immer-Robinson and Jancis Robinson..

For some more RESOURCES, you might want to look down this list. If you recommend the Dummies book, I will gladly add it to the list, as that might help others. I have read most of Steve Grisetti's books, and seen most of his Learning Series of articles/tutorials, and can recommend those.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: OPENING A PROJECT
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The only disadvantage to the "Dummies" book is that it was written several years ago, for an older version of the program.

As Bill says, I've written the only books available (except for the Classroom in a Book series) for EVERY version of the software since version 7. If you're interested in my easy, step by step books, you can read about them and see samples here:

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

And my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials can often get you through the basics.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 6. Re: OPENING A PROJECT
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for that update. I had not seen the version for PrE, so did not know.

Appreciated, and think that I will wait until they update to the current version, before listing it in that resources article.

Hunt

• 7. Re: OPENING A PROJECT
                      rode40 Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks or that. Amazon UK only list your book for version7(the one I am currently using), Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Classroom in a Book and many others by various authors so in due course I will probably look at ordering it from Amazon USA but will probably leave it until I install Elements 10 that I have recently purchased which won’t be until I have finished my present project which is some months down the line due to time constraints on editing. When I ordered the Dummies book I wasn’t aware of the existence of your book.  At the moment the Dummies book is answering a lot of things for me so should suffice to complete my project.

Many thanks again.

Regards

Roy