5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 10:47 AM by Mtr04

Change dpi for Ruler Guides

Mtr04

Hello.

I'd like to use exact size in dots when making layout for my document.

Ruler Guide set to "px" displays pixel values for 72dpi, but I'll print the document in 300dpi. I'd still like to measure dots exactly, is there a way to change Ruler Guide pixels to 300dpi?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Change dpi for Ruler Guides
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not really... technically no

You can still work in pixel dimension sizes and print it high resolution. The ruler guides are just guides, it's not a reflection of the resolution of the document.

But...

For fun:

Go to Preferences>Grids

Change

Horizontal to 300 Subdivision 300

Vertical to 300 Subdivision 300

Then say ok

Drag the corner of the ruler to the edge of the margins

View>Grids and Guides>Show Document Grid

You'll have a grid exactly 1px x 1px

And the large grids are 300 px

But that's completely redundant.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Change dpi for Ruler Guides
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm afraid I have no idea at all what you are talking about. Could you post some screen shots, maybe? Use the camera icon onthe web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

but I'll print the document in 300dpi. I'd still like to measure dots exactly, is there a way to change Ruler Guide pixels to 300dpi?

Printing at 300 dpi is VERY low printer resolution -- even inexpensive desktop printers have been 600 dpi for quite awhile. Or do you mean your images will be 300 ppi? If that's the case, I'm not sure what that has to do with ruler guides. Guides, by the way, do not have dimension, only location.

I suspect maybe you mean you want to divide the rulers themselves into some sort of 300/inch unit. That's probably doable, but I have doubts that it would be useful.

• 3. Re: Change dpi for Ruler Guides
              Mtr04 Level 1

Thanks for the quick replies.

What I'm trying to do is to print enlarged pixel art illustrations, which are very low resolution images that are meant to be enlarged.

The problem is, when we enlarge those low-res images, their new size must be exactly divisible by their original size. Let's say, if I have 7x7 picture (I know it's too small, just for the sake of example), it should have 14x14, 21x21 or maybe 70x70 frame, but not 22x22, since this will lead to scaling artifacts. The artifacts are only visible if you look very closely (or, alternatively, look from far away), but it appears that they are able to mess with pixel patterns slightly.

In other words, each pixel art enlarged "pixel" should ideally have the same size in real dots, or else there'll be some approximations, which are harmful to clean pixel art. Not neccesarily, but it'd be cool.

So, if it's possible, I'd like to define exactly how much points on print will the frame take in any given dpi (300 dpi is just an example).

Eugene Tyson is pretty close with what I wanted to do. But it'd be even greater to position Ruler Guides using real points in their X and Y coordinates for given dpi, not only 72 dpi (otherwise I'll have to count all those grids manually). I guess that's impossible?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Change dpi for Ruler Guides
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Scaling, in and of itself, is not an issue. Use the scale fields in the control panel to scale up in even 100% increments. But it sounds like you think your art needs to be aligned with the printer dot grid, and perhaps it does. Can you explain more about the process and ultimate use? I'm not sure how you would determine an accurate 0 point, even if you had the grid set that fine.

• 5. Re: Change dpi for Ruler Guides
                  Mtr04 Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

I'm not sure how you would determine an accurate 0 point, even if you had the grid set that fine.

I see your point, didn't think about that.

Well, it seems that in 600 dpi the scaling artifacts are virtually invisible, so it appears not to be such a problem.

Thanks for help!