10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 11:23 AM by the_wine_snob

Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)

Jsantacroce Level 1

I have tried with a couple of new projects adding titles to the beginning and end. I have tried plain text as well as some of the backgrounds provided or using images. In all cases, when I edit the text or especially if I try to undo or even preview it, it takes forever. It will finally return control, but only when I add Titles does everything slow WAY Down.

I have no problem creating them. They are just painful to work with. Can anyone suggest better (more efficient and quicker) way of working with titles?

Thanks,

Joe..

• 1. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
          Jsantacroce Level 1

PS: I am working on a Win 7 x64 with Intel I7 and 6gb memory with a 10k rpm drive.

I have PRE10 (And PhotoShop Elements 10). When I installed it I was not given an option for 64bit so I don't know if it autodetected and installed correctly or if I have the wrong package. It was a download purchase from Amazon.

• 2. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should see much better performance if you've installed the 64-bit version of the program, so I hope you did that.

Generally, you should see pretty good  performance with that computer system.

What are your project specs? Are you working with a hi-def or AVCHD project? A standard def project should render within seconds on your computer. A hi-def project is going to take consderably longer -- but certainly not "forever".

How long does it take you to render a 5-second or a 10-second title?

Also, is your project on your C drive or on a second or external hard drive? Your configuration (especially if it's not optimized) could also greatly affect your performance.

• 3. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

One computer sub-system not mentioned, is your video display adapter (video card/chip), and its driver. The Titler relies heavily on the video driver, so a bad, or very old one, could be an issue here. Please list the make/model of your video card/chip and also the number/date of the installed video driver.

You have far better specs., than I do on this laptop, but Titler, and all Title functions work very smoothly for me. Now, I AM using an older version of PrE, but still things are as smooth as silk.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Rendering the titles, however, Bill, are processor intensive. So the speed of the processor, the resolution of the video and the length of the rendered clip are the main factors with the rendering problems he's facing.

That's why I asked him to be specific about how long "forever" rendering is for how long and high resolution a clip.

• 5. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe I am not understanding where the slowdown is taking place. I read it as a severe lag, WHEN working with Titles in Titler, and not in playback, but perhaps I missed something important?

For playback, I agree with you 100%, but if while doing the mechanics of working in Titler, I cannot see where Rendering would have any effect there - only during playback.

If Joe could give us just a tad bit more info, such as where the slowdown is coming, and which operations are being performed, we can then home in on a cause, and hopefully affect a change in that behavior.

Thanks,

Hunt

PS - Will PM you regarding a post in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, that needs to be out here. It is also a question on Titles - hot topic today!

• 6. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
                    Jsantacroce Level 1

The Video Card is a nVidia GeForce GT 520.

Driver: nVidia

Dates: 5/20/11

ver:     8.17.12.7533

Unless they offer an updated one on their website Win is telling me it is the most current.

If I drag a title into the view panel or into the Sceneline and then attempt to Edit the Text it works ok. But I make a mistake and try to UNDO what I did it takes about a minute for it to undo and control to be returned. IF I then hit play, everything slows down. So both scenarios you both have described seem to be causing trouble.

I just shut many things down that run in the background and reboot leaving them turned off. I am getting a little better result but still need to see if I can improve it some. I locked it up at one point and had to reboot. Fortunately I save often .

Thanks guys...

• 7. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

As per usual, Windows is about 6 mos. out, when it comes to video drivers. This is the latest for the GT 250/Win7-64: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/38916

It's dated Monday, Oct. 24, 2011.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - from your description, I am beginning to think that Steve might have been correct, and I might have been wrong.

• 8. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I just shut many things down that run in the background and reboot leaving them turned off. I am getting a little better result but still need to see if I can improve it some. I locked it up at one point and had to reboot. Fortunately I save often

You might get some help from this ARTICLE. It starts as a checklist to get PrE running best, and then has what might be an important link, Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine, down the thread.

Could also be something as simple as your anti-virus/anti-malware/pop-up blocker "locking" your PREL, when it changes, to be scanned?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
                          Jsantacroce Level 1

Once again, many thanks!

So I dl'd the driver update. I had previously done many of the items in the thread regarding performances increases. I do have to admit Godmode was a new one to me so thank you for that as well.

I did kill some additional background programs as well from the service auto starting (services.msc) and set them to manual or disabled as well as some MSCONFIG options. The ones I need will kick in if I launch the programs. I also turned off disc indexing as I did not know that was such a hog.

All-in-all besides booting faster performance in Elements has definately improved and quite a bit. As a positive on the side, I use Cakewalk Sonar x64 X1 Pro Expanded and a Presonus 10x10 digital firewire interface and I was occaisonally having some stutter on larger projects. This seems to have resolved that as well.

So you guys Rock. I do appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

Joe..

• 10. Re: Working with Titles Painfully slow (or am I Doing something wrong?)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

Great news, and thank you for taking the time to outline what worked best for you. That might be helpful to others in the future. If the problems have been handled, you might want to mark the thread as Answered, so that others will know that you found some good information in it.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt