10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 10:25 AM by Martyson2010

Please Help Me...

CocoNutz1985

Hello,

I have been having an issue lately that has become annoying. It's regarding Photoshop CS5.

What it is, everytime I click on a tool on the left-hand side of the workspace, say the Rectangular Marquee Tool, it expands the whole set rather than selecting the tool I want by default.

Is there any workaround to this issue please?

Thank you,

Martin.

EDIT: It seems someone else is having the same issue as me, please see this post for the same issue I'm experiencing: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/951409?tstart=0

I am also updating my Photoshop CS5 to the latest version as I type this.

• 2. Re: Please Help Me...
          CocoNutz1985 Level 1

Hello c.pfaffenbichler, I just did a quick scan of the forum and found my question had already been asked, however, no one has provided a definitive answer to this annoying issue yet. My current version of CS5 is now 12.0.4 and the problem still persist's.

Is there ANY workaround to this as I have only noticed this happening recently and I haven't updated my CS5 for a while beforehand.

Thank you.

Martin.

• 3. Re: Please Help Me...
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I don’t know of any definitive remedy for those affected by this behaviour.

But I think there was more than one thread on the issue, maybe in the now defunct platform-specific Photoshop Fora, but I can’t locate them.

Boilerplate-text:

Other than that is the OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, font validation, etc.)?

• 4. Re: Please Help Me...
              CocoNutz1985 Level 1

I've just tried pressing and holding CTRL+ALT+SHIFT during start-up, and nothing, the problem still resides.

I did a font validation test months ago, and haven't added any new ones since. It's really bugging me that I can't get to the bottom of the issue, I've also tried going into preferences and nothing stands out at me that could be ticked which might be causing this.

It's very peculiar indeed.

• 5. Re: Please Help Me...
                Martyson2010 Level 1

Just to confirm .. no mouse operation,  if you use keyboard it is ok .. like e.g.

S or SHFT + S to select / cycle the selections ... or E  ... or  SHFT + E

They work OK ?

Vaughan

• 6. Re: Please Help Me...
                  CocoNutz1985 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Martyson2010, this does work but I'm not interested in using Keyboard shortcuts unless it's like Cntrl + D or Cntrl + Alt + Z, but I wouldn't use them to select tools when it's ten times easier with a mouse.

It's very worrying when a program like CS5 encounters an issue like this with no quick fix, despite a few others having the same problems.

• 7. Re: Please Help Me...
                    Hudechrome Level 2

If you click the tool very fast, (or double click it) does it still expand? Holding the mouse key about 1/2 second or longer will expand that tool's options, but so long as you don't re-select, say, the single row marquee after click and hold, you will get whatever is the default (or whatever was selected last). You have to deliberately make an alternate selection.

The tools options stay open until you use it. I generally click on the image frame to hide the menu before starting to use it, if the fly-out is still present.

I consider this behavior to be an asset.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Please Help Me...
                      Martyson2010 Level 1

You are not also using a pen/tablet in CS5, correct?

Is your mouse click/double click speed set to fast/slow?

• 9. Re: Please Help Me...
                        CocoNutz1985 Level 1

Martyson2010, you have hit the nail on the head. I bought a new mouse a few ago, and changed a few settings on my Windows OS, and my double-click speed was set to fast instead of the formula you mentioned; so I have put my double-click speed in the middle like so: http://static.accessibility.sky.com/bskyb/assets/images/2009/11/Slowing_down_double_click_speed_in_Windows_XP_img_1.jpg 

Applying my mouse to operate at these settings has [solved] this issue. I only hope that anyone else experiencing this issue finds this thread and it helps them too.

I shouldn't have doubted my CS5, and indeed Adobe, as I find this program invaluable to my needs, so my sincere apologies

I can now enjoy my CS5 again,

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to the thread and for providing helpful techniques, maybe certain answers will help someone else.

Martin.

• 10. Re: Please Help Me...
                          Martyson2010 Level 1

Martin,

Great news .. have a good day.

Vaughan