7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 4:37 PM by the_wine_snob

External drive

kduvall

My externial drive is not showing up in the option box to choose scratch drives(in Photoshop). It is showing up on my destop and I can use it but I need it for Photoshop because it is slow. I don't have enought space on my hard drive . Any ideas?

• 1. Re: External drive
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Try trashing the prefs. If your device doesn't show up after that, then it's probably dependent on how it is hooked into your system. In that case your disk management console might offer a solution. Still, some devices may never show up, if Windows flags them accordingly. It's a driver thing you cannot influence and usually boils down that only devices with dedicated drivers are recognized as permanent drives, but not e.g. generic USB drives using the basic Windows driver...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: External drive
            Noel Carboni Level 8

I read in the Photoshop help file that Photoshop detects INTERNAL drives for presentation as choices in the scratch disk dialog...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-748aa.h tml

"Photoshop detects and displays all available internal disks in the Preferences panel. Using the Preferences panel, you can enable other scratch disks to be used when the primary disk is full. Your primary scratch disk should be your fastest hard disk; make sure it has plenty of defragmented space available."

-Noel

• 3. Re: External drive
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

"Internal" is rather ambiguous and not necessarily true to the nature of the problem. Many RAIDs are "external", yet by way of dedicated drivers their device classes and enumeration are set in such a way, that they are treated as fixed drives. That's what I have been saying.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: External drive
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Good point.

I just remoted into my desktop system, something I didn't know would be possible through a 3G link, and I was able to bring up Photoshop CS5 and verify that my external USB hard drive (G:) does in fact show up in the list of candidates for scratch use.

-Noel

• 5. Re: External drive
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting Noel. Going back to about PS CS, I had done experimentation on using USB 2.0 externals for Scratch Disks (back then, many laptop users ONLY had single internal HDD's - and I suppose that many still do), and I was then able to test for some benchmarking, with those external USB 2.0's. So long as they were plugged in, and turned on, plus recognized by the OS (XP-Pro, IIRC), PS CS allowed me to select them.

In addition, but only from memory, as I cannot find the testing article that I wrote on this, the processing in PS was slightly slower with the USB 2.0 externals, over using the C:\, which had adequate free-space for the Scratch Disks. It worked OK, with no issues, but because of the connection speed, did not improve things, above the internal C:\. Now, remember, that test C:\ had adequate free-space for the benchmarks, so if C:\ is full, then those USB 2.0 externals were an option.

Do not know if things have changed, and when I moved on to FW-800's I did not bother to retest. Also, about that time, I moved to a laptop with 3x SATA II HDD's internally, and just relegate my PS Scratch Disks to my E:\, which is mostly kept empty.

Just some old observations, though from my often-faulty memory.

Hunt

PS - though the issues did not show up in that PS Scratch Disk test, there WERE problems, when using Adobe Premiere to edit Video to/from USB 2.0 HDD's. Now, I often do that with FW-800's, and have never had an issue. Mainly, I do that, when I need to migrate PrPro Projects between my laptop and my workstation. Those problems were read/write errors, including the dreaded Delayed Write Failure, which actually killed one USB 2.0 external, and it had to be low-level formatted to get it running again, but of course, it was then blank.

• 6. Re: External drive
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Not that everyone has it, but of course there's USB 3.0 to consider.  I think I've seen that drives capable of USB 3.0 also work better on USB 2.0 since their controllers are generally more powerful.

-Noel

• 7. Re: External drive
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Noel,

I have not benchmarked USB 3.0, so all that I have, are some very early benchmarks, and am not 100% certain how those were obtained. Those indicate that at least early USB 3.0 hardware was not living up to the published, potential transfer rates. Again, those were not my benchmarks. If I can find those data, I will add them, and any useful details on the benchmarking tests, so others can decide it the results might be make/model-specific, or of general use.

Hunt