7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 11:05 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!

daredman1 Level 1

Is InDesign CS 5.5 (7.5.2) noticeably slower than InDesign CS 3?

I just purchased upgradges for CS 3.0 to CS 5.5 for ten co-workers now I'm mad because I feel like I took a step backwards in speed. Everyone is running on MacPro tower and 10.6 or 10.5 and everyone is complaining about how slow, latent and seemingly buggy InDesign is now. By buggy I mean something like make a box, grab it, move it, release the cursor, and it jumps to a different location. or I resize a window and it resizes to something entirely different on it's own.

$10500 for a step backwards is wrong (that cost includes a RAM upgrade to try to solveness… to no avail)

Are there known speed/buggy issues with CS 5.5?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

First thing to do  is set your live screen redraw prefs to delayed instead of immediate.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

CS5.5 has some features not present in CS3, like live prefight, that affect performance on inadequate hardware. You can turn that off, and you should probably also go inthe prefs and set Live Screen Drawing to Delayed to solve your positioning issues.

There are a number of threads on this topic you can read for more information about what may be causeing performance hits and how to deal with them.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!
              daredman1 Level 1

Bob & Peter thanks I actually had already turned off the Preflight features and switched Live Screen Drawing to delayed as well as turning off every other feature from the Interface Prefences pane based on previous users feedback. I'll admit it did improve marginally but even after changing those settings it's still buggy and sluggish.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!

What are you running, if anything, for a font manager (including version)?

Your hardware may not be up to the task, too. I run Windows 7 and have no problems at all, but my hardware is new, and very fast.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!

You've said "buggy" twice, which is why I asked about the font manager, but maybe we should be aasking just why you say buggy to begin with. What are you seeing other than slow performance?

• 6. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!
                    daredman1 Level 1

I'm on a MacPro with 17 Gigs of Ram with a new 250 Gig Solid State Drive (which is really fast). A co-worker is on a MacPro with 12 Gigs ram and a 500 Gig SATA drive both running OS 10.6.8 Both machines are about 4 years old and we are both running Font Explorer Pro 3.1. Mainly my concern seems to be tied to performance. But at other times strange things happen which I'm calling buggy like I often drag images from my desktop into an InDesign file. So as a test I just open CS3 and CS5 and did an identical test. Drag 3 HiRes Images from desktop to pasteboard into CS3 and instantly I can start clicking and placing. Then in CS5 drag 3 HiRes images drom desktop to pasteboard in InDesign and it won't let me so I then have to click back on my desktop then retry to click on pasteboard into InDesign and now it lets me start dropping my images. so it feels a little buggy but I think your right mostly this feels more of a performance issue.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 is sloooow!

I'm not a Mac hardware expert, but I think you'll find the critical components here are processor and video card, not hard drive or more RAM than ID needs (unless you have tons of other stuff open, too).

I've only seen one, or maybe two other reports of slowness where anyone suggested Font Explorer might be a factor, but you can disable it to test.