13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 2:52 PM by Jeff Arola

Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3

JMan360 Level 1

I  use Photoshop CS3 in the business where I work. Everything was working great until I was working with some files that were brought in by a customer. Now Everything I create or open looks to be very low quality. It looks as if anti-aliasing is not working.

I can create an image 12in x 12in at 300dpi in 8bit CMYK mode. If I create a circle, the edges are jagged. I can import images from Illustrator and the adges are jagged. When I use the text tool with it set to smooth or crisp, the 72pt text has jagged edges. I have created images from home using Photoshop CS5 and they look horrible when opened them up on our computer at the office.

I have uninstalled the program and removed the directory from the Program Files folder. I reinstalled the application and it still has the same issue. I am about to pull out all of my hair on this issue. Please HELP!

• 1. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Up until the use of OpenGL for displaying images, which started in PS CS4, Photoshop's image display resampling has always been optimized for speed, not quality.  Are you viewing the images/text at 100% zoom or a downsized zoom level?

Clearly you're sensing a difference from what you were seeing once before...

Perhaps you could capture your screen showing the problem and post it here.  People will be able to confirm whether what you're seeing is out of the ordinary, and perhaps spot the problem if so.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
            JMan360 Level 1

Thank you for such a quick response. I will work on getting some screen shots for you to see. If I change the view to "Actual Pixels" the image quality looks good. If I switch the view to "Print Size" or if I zoom out the image looks horrible. It used to not be this way. It used to not matter if I zoomed out, the image would continue to look clean.

• 3. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
              JMan360 Level 1

I am unable to get a picture at a good enough size to demonstrate what is happening. I have tried to post pictures but they are to large and when I reduce thier size they do not demonstrate the problem.

• 4. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Certainly a PS CS3 image, when zoomed out, looks a little "choppier" than a PS CS4 or 5 image that uses OpenGL, but I certainly wouldn't call it "horrible" by comparison...  I suspect you have a bona fide display problem of some sort.

Common advice for display problems:

* If you're on a PC download and install updated display drivers from the web site of the maker of your video card.

* Reset Photoshop preferences, which will require you to re-make all preferences settings you have accumulated.  Note that your full removal/reinstall would NOT have affected the preferences.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                  Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

If resetting the preferences as Noel suggests doesn't work, you can take a screenshot and crop to just an area of the document that shows what your seeing.

Also cs3 does have a setting under Performance for using the GPU, but i'm not clear on how that works in cs3 as compared to cs4/cs5.

Anyway since 100% view is the only true view in photoshop and other views can look less than perfect even cs5, it may be with objects you import from

illustrator that anti-alias is not checked in the tool options bar.

Untitled-1.png

• 6. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                    JMan360 Level 1

I have downloaded and installed the latest nVidia video driver and a the latest nVidia chipset driver. I also held shift+ctrl+alt when opening Photoshop and I reset the profile. The issue is still there. I will post pics as soon as I get some that do this forum justice.

• 7. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

GPU options are only available in PS CS3 for the extended edition and only for 3D rendering.  They do not affect image zooming and display.

Looking forward to seeing your screen grabs, JMan360.  If it turns out you've just gotten more used to the higher quality PS CS5 Display zooming, don't feel bad.  That's why Adobe improved the display!

-Noel

• 8. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                        JMan360 Level 1

The file is 3.6in x 2.1in set at 350dpi set to CMYK mode. It is 1260pixels x 735pixels.

This is a croped image of what I see when View is set to "Print Size."

Print Size.jpg

This is a croped image of what I see when View is set to "Actual Pixels." I had to reduce it's size to post it to the forum.

Actual Pixels.jpg

This is a croped image and a full screen image of what I see when View is set to "Actual Pixels" and I zoom out by holding the alt key and rolling back on the mouse's scroll wheel 2 times. The image is not horible but it is not as clean as it should be or as I remember it being.

Zoomed out.JPGZoomed out2.JPG

I may be out of my mind, but I do not remember it looking this bad. Thank you all for the help that I have received.

• 9. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but the monitor is set at the correct resolution, right?

If you are looking at images in CS3, prefer 25% 50% and 100% view, as Photoshop does not use a smooth resampling at other magnifications.

Maybe did you try CS4 or CS5 since, and have a hard time coming back to CS3?

• 10. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

None of your images is actually at 100% original size, so we can't directly see the problem.  However, I mocked up an image at the same size you've stated, using similar fonts.

Here's what I see in Photoshop CS3, at 100% and a zoom level similar to yours:

Zoom100.jpg

Zoom20_57.jpg

There's almost a perfect match between what I see and what you've posted.  I'd say what you're seeing from Photoshop CS3 is normal.

As I mentioned before, this is the normal speed-optimized display performance we expect from Photoshop CS3, and that (lack of) quality level is one of the reasons why Adobe has moved to a higher quality OpenGL-based display/zoom system.  Here's the same image shown at the same 20.57% zoom level in Photoshop CS5, for comparison:

Zoom20_57_CS5.jpg

Sometimes it's hard to go back.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                              JMan360 Level 1

I would like to say thank you to everyone for your help. I apparently have used CS5 a little to much for my own good since I have to use CS3 at my job. Noel has made one heck of a statement with the recreation of the issue on his copy of CS3. Noel, I would especially like to thank you for going to such lengths to help me, that was awsome. You, my friend, are a true professional. Using CS3 makes it difficult to show a customer what thier design will look like when the quality appears to be subpar.

• 12. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

You're welcome; it's no problem at all - I try to make sure I understand potential display issues since I sell software into the same market.

Oh, and by the way, you may not have set your display resolution properly, as it looks as though your Print Size display is a bit small...   Edit - Preferences - Performance, Units and Rulers:  Set the Screen Resolution to your actual monitor pixel density.  Then Print Size should be accurate.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Everything is Low Quality in PC CS3
                                  Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Noel,

Thanks for the info on GPU options in cs3.