13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2012 5:29 PM by Claudio González

update fails

joe62665

while updating 9.4.7 HALF way though computer resets itself or goes to a light blue screen. Removed 9.4.7 from computer tried to downlown the latest 10. ? the same thing happens. Using windows XP service pack 3 HP computer.

• 1. Re: update fails
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Please try downloading the latest version of Adobe Reader from: http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

• 2. Re: update fails
            joe62665 Level 1

Went to where you said to go, downloaded the file, ran the download got 52.21% complete of "extracting installation" and the computer locked up. mouse would not work, keyboard did not work ,clock did not change, waited 45 mins. reset the computer. i am running AVG 2011. went to msconfig ran dianostic setting . Tried to run the download again same results. Have  adobe 9.20 now. took off 9.4 because it locked up on update. put 9.0 on 1 up date went fine. the next update for 9.20 locked up. Need some help. Thank You

• 3. Re: update fails

Could you try and temporarily disable the antivirus and retry running the downloaded file.

It could be a case wherein the antivirus is stopping the installation from taking place.

• 4. Re: update fails
                The original BillP

I run an advanced computer shop/lab. Acrobat reader version (Latest 10.1.2) stutters and stalls at 52.21% on ALL of our test systems, then it continues after a second or 2 with decompressing. Test systems use WINXP PRO and Home. (Haven't tried with Vista or WIN7.)  We are also using the full-size install file.

On a customer's system, procedure stalls at 52.21%, then locks up computer. We disabled anti-virus; disabled ALL start-up items; we even disabled ALL SERVICES. We restarted computer every time, as it had locked up every time. SAFE mode or REGULAR start-up, it didn't make any difference. Just for fun, we uninstalled a couple dozen other programs and re-installed, no problems at all. We didn't bother to try any of the 9.X versions. We'd simply like to know what is happening at the 52.21% of decompression point?? I'd be happy to work with any Adobe staffer.

• 5. Re: update fails

Could you try and delete the following folder depending upon your OS.

Win XP

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Setup

Win 7/ Win Vista

C:\Programdata\Adobe\Setup

Now try and install the Reader 10.1.2 EXE and see if you face the same issue.

Thanks

Ankit

• 6. Re: update fails
                    joe62665 Level 1

Tried both solutions --- turned off antivirus and removing the folder did not help. hangs up at the same point.even did all the things Billp did. the only program i removed was reader 9.4.1. did not help.

• 7. Re: update fails

Looks like some permission issue with the C:\programdata folder wherin the contents are extracted.

Could you please try and extract the contents elsewhere and install the application using the following steps:

1. Copy the Reader 10.1.2 EXE to a folder say C:\Rdr_EXE

2. Launch Command Prompt

3. Type in the following command and hit enter:

C:\Rdr_EXE\AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -sfx_o"C:\Rdr_EXE"

This will extract the files at C:\Rdr_EXE folder and install from thereon.

Post the installation, you can safely delete the AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe but Please do not delete the folder since it will be used for repairing the application if the need comes.

Hope this works

Ankit

• 8. Re: update fails
                        joe62665 Level 1

that did not work either. i DO NOT have a folder named " programdata" on C drive .note only have one drive. (C) It stops at the same place. i have Windows XP service pack 3. This all started when i tried to update 9.4.1

• 9. Re: update fails

Did you try running the above mentioned command..?

• 10. Re: update fails
                            joe62665 Level 1

Yes. I got the same result as before. i followed your steps. did it three times. 2 time it froze the download screen the other time i got a blank RED screen and nothing worked.

• 11. Re: update fails

Really weird!! Please try running the below command (once more )

C:\Rdr_EXE\AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -sfx_o"C:\Rdr_EXE" -sfx_ne

Does this result in the same issue.

• 12. Re: update fails
                                joe62665 Level 1

did it TWICE same result same place.

• 13. Re: update fails
                                  Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

When everything else fails, you may want to try the following:

Run this fix from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Uninstall all traces of any versions of Reader using Add/Remove Programs

If you want to reinstall Reader, download it from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/