5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 10:41 AM by ACandelaPhoto

creating a grid pattern to use as a background pattern

ACandelaPhoto

I'm using PS 5 and looking to create an adjustable grid pattern that I can use as a background (think of Muybridge) and that I can place over images.

I know in Adobe's preferences you can change the color and how wide of a grid pattern to use.

All what I need is to create this grid pattern template and possibly change the design (morphing, etc.) of it over time. I'm becoming a bit of a mad scientist at the

moment as I'm redesigning my website.

Much appreciate detailed guidence in creating this.

Thanks in advance!

~A~

• 2. Re: creating a grid pattern to use as a background pattern
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When I have needed Grids, I usually create those with Paths and a Stroke. With Snap to Guides, Paths are easy to do, and with Shift held down, they are straight.

By accident, I found another way, but one that involves othere software. Early on, when Corel Painter first accepted PSD's (not sure if this has changed with versions of Painter, after 9?), I did a Save of a PSD, with the Grid active. I Opened that PSD in Painter (about version 5 then, but still worked up to ver. 9), and the Grid (and/or Guides) showed. If I then Saved_As PSD from Painter, and Opened the PSD in PS, the Grids, and/or Guides, were still part of the image, and in the Background Layer. If the Background was otherwise Transparent, the Grids, and/or Guides were just like Stroked Paths, in the pattern chosen in Grids.

After finding that little quirk/trick, I began just doing Grids, per my needs, and went the PS to Painter to PS route with an otherwise empty PSD. Viola! I had an Image with my Grid/Guides. Obviously, easier if one also owns Painter. Not sure if this "glitch" exists in the most recent versions of Painter, as I have not upgraded.

Hunt

• 3. Re: creating a grid pattern to use as a background pattern
            ACandelaPhoto Level 1

Thank you R_Kelly!

The tutorial may be my best bet. I'm also looking to create a similar grid pattern using dots. Hoping the tutorial will give me some ideas.

Bill, happy accidents are great when you come across them!

Below is what I'm also looking to create. With variations.  I took a screen shot of the pattern.

dot grid.jpg

• 4. Re: creating a grid pattern to use as a background pattern
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, in my case, it was originally a "DANG!" moment, until a client wanted a Grid IN the Image. Being lazy by nature, I thought about the request, and then just fired up Painter - worked a treat. However, as mentioned, that would not be enough to justify buying Painter, though it IS a great program, and does some neat stuff easily, that one has to work pretty hard to do in PS, though each version of PS does seem to get closer to it. As of about CS and Painter 5, the two progrms work quite well together - so long as one remembers to turn Grids and Guides OFF, before doing a Save to go to Painter!

Looks like your dot-grid came out just fine.

Hunt

• 5. Re: creating a grid pattern to use as a background pattern
                ACandelaPhoto Level 1

Hello Hunt,

Well, that was a screen capture one of the grid(s) that I want to use.

But honestly, I never found the best way in creating such a pattern, either in a grid or dot pattern form.

So I thought to take a screen shot of the pattern in PS save it into the resolution I need for

my website background and as .jpg. I double check and open up the new file to make sure everything is fine.

Then the darnedest thing when I go to up load that file, it no longer shows the dots or the grid I created!!!

I can't figure out why this is?

If you or anyone else reads this, could they recreate this and see if similar does happen?

Possibly upload the image someplace and reopen it.

I'm stuck on this one!