1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 6:14 AM by Peter Spier

text aligning

eidammm Level 1

hello all,

i found a nice poster on the internet and decided that i will try to re-create it on my own, and thus learning inDesign a little bit.

my first question would be - how could i align the text lines (with different font sizes) not according to their text box, but according to the actual glyphs?

for example, in this screenshot, i would like to align both of the lines to the left guideline.

thanks for any answer and/or suggestion.

PS: also, i have a hunch that this is a pretty common issue, so it would be enough even if you only suggested keywords to search for. thanks again.

• 1. Re: text aligning
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Glyphs all have "side bearing" values built in to create space between them when thay are strung together, and unfortunately that space is relative to the size of the glyph and is variable depending on the actual glyph in question. I don't know a way to do what you are asking automatically, nor am I convinced it makes for good layout. It might be OK in your example, but what about lines that start with O or G? What about punctuation?