I see only one thing I might be able to help with.
When you re-set the computer's clock, you should have made sure that the
time, date AND time zone were correct. If one of these settings is off,
ADE's comparisons to its files will not be correct....
Hope this helps!
thanks FAZ for your speedy response!
i did check that date/time setting straightaway, and it was correct, but that would be the likeliest issue. i think it was a combination of things.
anyway it's working now; will try and retrace the winning combination (this is on a Mac- intel MBP):
INFO BELOW - hope this helps someone else
---i again deleted everything labeled 'digitaleditions' or 'digital editions' for both users
-this includes plist files, receipts; everything.*
---repaired permissions and restarted
---i again unzipped and installed ADE
---from this link (can't recall how i found it)
i followed the deauthorization instructions.
---i went to both firewall settings and actively whitelisted, not just the app but the notification name 'digitaleditions'.
(it hadn't been blacklisted and i could see in the weblog it was sending, but that seemed safest for a clean slate.)
---deleted everything again
---did a virgin authorization (not following 2nd instructions to stay unauthorized at that link, cause i have 2 devices--Nook re-setup is next)
and now it works, the ebooks download and open.
* (on a Mac you need admin privileges to delete application system files and a 3rd party search app to show them to you. but that might not even be necessary)