2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 6:45 PM by rjt mike taylor

ADE "Error getting license" can't download library books + overdrive can't help

rjt mike taylor

hi forum

ADE won't download ebooks. it downloads the .acsm file and opening that file will successfully open ADE, but no book will download.

the problem with adobe digital editions started after my battery ran out and the time and date reverted to 2001.

when i restarted and opened ADE, the program i'd had the books for 1406 days.

i fixed the date and tried to start over again. but since that happened i can't download or return library ebooks at eNYPL at all (though i can read free ebooks or purchased ebooks fine in ADE.)

overdrive says i must talk to adobe cause they can't figure it out

when i try and download a library book i have checked out, i get this error:

Error getting license

Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

i also get that error when i try to return a book.

i haven't been able to use the elibrary at eNYPL for 2 weeks.

when we were troubleshooting, a book i was in the middle of got deleted (i could read stuff i had already downloaded, before ADE started acting obstructive) and it's on a waiting list so that 's not great either.

i have reinstalled adobe digital editions twice and (and 3 times again after deleting plist files and following verious email instructions on deleting, renaming 'restore' folder, and how to reinstall from overdrive; turned off firewall, checked no blockers etc) and contacted the nypl 3 times.

i have contacted overdrive and have 2 weeks of correspondance between us, and spent an hour on the phone with 2 different tech help people, most recently today.

anyway, nothing works

help, please

YOUR SETUP:

1. Operating System: Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

2. Internet Browser: Safari and Firefox (latest versions)

3. Installed Software: Adobe Digital Editions,iTunes,OverDrive Media Console

4. Portable Device: NOOK

5. Firewall: No

i have no idea if my NOOK will work now cause i haven't been able to get a book to transfer.

cheers

mike

ps:

on overdrive's advice, i downloaded ADE to a completely different ROOT user account and there's a different problem error:

Error Activating

E-ADEPT-IO ActivationServiceInfo Error%20#2032

of course, i have it registered to me not the other admin user, i don't want it under that user

• 1. Re: ADE "Error getting license" can't download library books + overdrive can't help
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I see only one thing I might be able to help with.

When you re-set the computer's clock, you should have made sure that the

time, date AND time zone were correct.  If one of these settings is off,

ADE's comparisons to its files will not be correct....

Hope this helps!

==============

• 2. Re: ADE "Error getting license" can't download library books + overdrive can't help
            rjt mike taylor Level 1

thanks FAZ for your speedy response!

i did check that date/time setting straightaway, and it was correct, but that would be the likeliest issue. i think it was a combination of things.

anyway it's working now; will try and retrace the winning combination (this is on a Mac- intel MBP):

INFO BELOW - hope this helps someone else

---i again deleted everything labeled 'digitaleditions' or 'digital editions' for both users

-this includes plist files, receipts; everything.*

---repaired permissions and restarted

---i again unzipped and installed ADE

---from this link (can't recall how i found it)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/698321

i followed the deauthorization instructions.

---i went to both firewall settings and actively whitelisted, not just the app but the notification name 'digitaleditions'.

(it hadn't been blacklisted and i could see in the weblog it was sending, but that seemed safest for a clean slate.)

---deleted everything again

---reinstalled

---did a virgin authorization (not following 2nd instructions to stay unauthorized at that link, cause i have 2 devices--Nook re-setup is next)

and now it works, the ebooks download and open.

mike

*  (on a Mac you need admin privileges to delete application system files and a 3rd party search app to show them to you. but that might not even be necessary)