5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 9:04 AM by RjL190365

Can Premiere cs5 run on the ASUS A53SV-NH71 laptop?

Dark4xxemoxx

I'm about to buy this laptop but I need to know if anything will completely prevent Premiere from running at all.

Here are the specs:

CPU Type: Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2GHz

CPU Support: 6MB L3 Cache 3.1GHz Turbo frequency

Memory Size: 6GB DDR3

Hard Disk: 500GB 7200rpm

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 540M

Video Memory: 1GB

+

External Hard Disk: 160GB 7200rpm

and Extenal Moniter 20" I checked the resulutions enough.

If Premier CS5 can't work is their anything else?

• 1. Re: Can Premiere cs5 run on the ASUS A53SV-NH71 laptop?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, but as all laptops, rather slowly. Around 5-10 times slower than a decent desktop. That may not seem such a bad idea, but remember that when a decent desktop requires say 30 minutes encoding time, this laptop may require 150 to 300 minutes encoding time for the same timeline and it needs a wall outlet for that.

• 2. Re: Can Premiere cs5 run on the ASUS A53SV-NH71 laptop?
            JFPhoton Level 3

.....as an Asus laptop user of PPro, I would not recommend this unit

You need in a laptop :

More than  1 GB of DDR 5 video memory, not DDR3.....460m and above NVidia mobile card...NVidia only

Minimum 2 7200rpm HDDs, preferably, both on board....one for OS and Programs, one for all else,minimum...( 2 bays are good....put own quality SATA III SSD in first bay if you  have budget)

As much memory as you can stuff in it, 16GB minimum

Big enough screen ,so you can see what you are doing, and not cut off any of the program's user interface ...1920x1080 is best....17.3 inch

eSATA,or, USB 3 external port for adding even a third HDD, to improve performance.

HDMI port, to hook up HDTV, or, ext. monitor......HDTV can show what your timeline would look like full-screen on a TV...which is different than a monitor.....you can make the TV or Monitor be a full screen display of your timeline w/ PPRO

Check out larger Asus models, compare to Sager and ADK

Go to PPBM5 website and look at benchmark results from laptops....you will see how different configurations perform there....

you will also see that even the best laptop cannot compete with a good desktop setup....it is a compromise...

Also, read more info on this forum.....there is a whole host of knowledge and experience here to help you avoid making costly mistakes in purchasing, and to show you what to expect with your particular workflow on various equipment setups....

• 3. Re: Can Premiere cs5 run on the ASUS A53SV-NH71 laptop?
              Dark4xxemoxx Level 1

Heres a link to the graghics card if that helps answer my question  http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-540m-us.html

• 4. Re: Can Premiere cs5 run on the ASUS A53SV-NH71 laptop?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

That confirms it is absolute bare minimum and will not help. Only 96 cores, lousy DDR3 memory, only a 128 bit memory bus, so it will be dead slow, like molasses in winter. But, hey, it is your choice, just don't say I did not warn you.

• 5. Re: Can Premiere cs5 run on the ASUS A53SV-NH71 laptop?
                  RjL190365 Level 4

That confirms that the laptop will run as slow as or slower than many of the older, slower, often cheaper desktop systems with fewer CPU cores. The GT 540M is actually slower than a desktop GT 430 in terms of fill rate. And as Harm stated, it has lousy DDR3 VRAM and only a 128-bit memory bus, so put together, with CS5.5, don't be surprised if the MPEG-2 DVD performance alone in the PPBM5 benchmark is slower than the total PPBM5 benchmark performance of a second-generation i3-based desktop system with a mid-range GPU.

In fact, take a look at the PPBM5 results list: The fastest system that runs CS5.5 and equipped with the exact same CPU, RAM and GPU components as the laptop that you're considering is fully seven times slower than a fast reference system even with MPE GPU acceleration enabled. The total PPBM5 benchmark time of 676 seconds for that system does not compare favourably to the just-under-400-second time that a properly-tuned laptop system with that same i7-2670QM CPU has been able to achieve. (There is one system with the same GT 540M that scored a total result of under 500 seconds - but that system is using CS5 5.0.3, which has the RAM caching built-in that CS5.5 does not have.)