6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 12:05 PM by nealeh

Just installed PE10, won't start up...

Theamata

Hello

I just bought photoshop and premiere elements 10. I installed both of them (Disc 2) and restarted the computer just like it said. I opened photoshop and that works fine. However, when I opened up premiere and went to the menu screen, I clicked "new project" and it doesn't even come on at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled it hoping that would work, unfortunately it still isn't coming on. I even made a shortcut to just start up a new project but that doesn't work. It keeps disappearing after it says, "Loading importer quicktime.exe", I downloaded the latest Quicktime update but still no luck. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

My laptop is a Toshiba C660.

Windows 7 64-bit operated.

Intel core i3

4 gb RAM

Around 93gb left on my hdd.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Just installed PE10, won't start up...
          nealeh Level 5

There have been a several similar posts from Toshiba owners recently. In all (I think) cases the problem was solved by installing the latest generic driver from the display driver manufacturer. However to allow this you must first remove the driver from Device Manager. If you don't you will just get an error message saying to go to Toshiba's own site. The exact text of this solution (provided BY TOSHIBA) is:

Dear Mr Bray

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Toshiba Reference Number:     

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Please try uninstalling the present display driver and updating it with the latest driver from Intel, to uninstall the present driver please boot the Notebook to the Windows desktop screen, open the Start Menu and type Device in to the search line, select Device Manager from the list above where you typed. In the Device Manager click the arrow to the left of the line saying Display adapter, then right click the Intel display adapters name and select Uninstall. When prompted whether you want to continue the uninstall, make sure that you put a Tic in the box where it says Do you want to delete the software for this device.

Once the driver is uninstalled restart the notebook and download the driver,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/2067 6/a08/Win7Vista_64_152252.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=206 76&keyword=%22HM55%22

Install the driver and then test the Adobe software, if you are still having issues please contact Adobe support at http://www.adobe.com/support/photoshopelements/  .

Hope that works for you.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Just installed PE10, won't start up...
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for posting the specs. of you computer, and welcome to the forum.

As Neale says, many Toshiba users have experienced issues with the video driver and PrE. PSE does not interface with the video driver, nearly as closely as does PrE, so that could be why it runs, while PrE does not.

Toshiba re-wraps the video driver, so that it is proprietary, and that makes it tough to update it. Some other mfgrs. do the same, like Dell and HP, but there is a difference - Dell and HP are very good at taking the latest nVidia, or ATI/AMD driver, re-wrapping it, and getting the new one up on their Web site, almost instantly. Toshiba? Well, not that often.

The one thing missing from your computer's specs. is the graphics display adapter, which will be an integrated chip on your MoBo. It is most likely that it is from Intel, or nVidia or ATI/AMD. The latter two are much better choices, and that is because each of those chip makers DOES issue updates often, at least there is a chance that Toshiba will re-wrap those, but Intel seldom issues any updates, so the chances diminish very quickly.

I would follow Neale's posted suggestion, and we wish you good luck.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Just installed PE10, won't start up...
              Theamata Level 1

Hi,

I just uninstalled my display adapter and restarted the computer.

I tried to click and download the driver but the everytime I click to accept the t&c it comes up with this message,

The file that you are trying to download has either been moved, renamed or archived.

Please go to http://downloadcenter.intel.com and choose your product to find your download.

I don't know where to go from here. Could you help?

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Just installed PE10, won't start up...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd go back on the Intel Web site, say to: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

and then from there, fill in the details of your Intel graphics display (you do have an Intel graphics display chipset, right?), and then your OS, to see if they have a new URL for the driver that you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Just installed PE10, won't start up...
                  Theamata Level 1

I tried to find out what kind of graphics display I had but I didn't actually know what it was again. I went back to display adapter but it had no information on it. So I went to update driver just to see what I had before and it was Intel HD graphics. I was going to use this for the download center but I thought in the off chance that if I download the newest update that it might work. So, I did it, restarted the computer and clicked on PE10 just to see if that did it. It actually worked that time! I just need to download additional content for the full package and I'm ready to go.

I'll open another discussion if I have any more problems with it.

Thanks for all the help.

• 6. Re: Just installed PE10, won't start up...
                    nealeh Level 5

[EDIT] - just saw your reply that you got it to work OK. Hope that sorts you out.

Hmmm - the link was provided by Toshiba. Having an nVidia card I didn't check its validity. Probably been replaced by a newer driver. As Bill says check your video driver manufacturer and go to there website.

Press the [Windows] key and, in the search box, type devmgmt.msc and press [Enter]. Open up the Display adapters and see what you have.

E.G.

1.png

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Added [EDIT]