2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 9:15 AM by vze26m98

Portable LF-CRLFs across Mac/Windows?

vze26m98

Surprised I couldn't find the answer to this question easily, so please forgive if it's comon knowledge:

I'm writing text into a multiline ScriptUI textedit box, and of course, the "\n" I've been using in my ExtendScript code works fine on the Mac and not-so-fine of Windows.

Does Adobe provide anything like a portable "newline" constant? Can't seem to find an answer to this.

I know I can quiz for the platform I'm running on, and set a variable to "\n" or "\r\n" accordingly, but is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks so much!

Charles

• 1. Re: Portable LF-CRLFs across Mac/Windows?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Does Adobe provide anything like a portable "newline" constant? Can't seem to find an answer to this.

No. In the C world, \n is supposed to be translated into \r\n where appropriate on output, I would have thought that was true in Javascript too.

I was kind of under the impression that it was.

Did you try '\r' on both platforms?

• 2. Re: Portable LF-CRLFs across Mac/Windows?
            vze26m98 Level 1

Hi John-

Thanks for your response. It seems you are correct.

I got some screenshots from a friend using a compiled script of mine on his Win7/CS5 combo showing that the CRLF translation wasn't working. (I'd built the script on a Mac.)

Today I'm going over my work on XP/CS4, and the LF translation seems fine.

I guess it might have something to do with creating the JSXBIN file on the Mac, and running it on Windows?

Presumably I'll get an answer after I poke around a bit more.

Best wishes, Charles