5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 8:59 AM by Jim_Simon

Matching Aspect Ratios

ksemple Level 1

All,

I have two video clips, in a sequence (720x480, 0.091). One was recorded HDV and the other DV on separate cameras. But I want both videos to have the same look, in other words the letterbox look with the black bars above & beneath. I want the videos to look the same like the first picture I have posted below. The other pic is not uploading, but it is basically fulling up the entire safe margin.

1         Screen Shot 2012-01-20 at 11.01.28 PM.png

• 1. Re: Matching Aspect Ratios
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your dv clip is 4:3, the hdv clip is 16:9.

You will have to manually scale the hdv clip to get rid of the letterbox.

This means you will loose both side of the clip.

21-1-2012 14-16-48.png

• 2. Re: Matching Aspect Ratios
            ksemple Level 1

No I actually want the letterbox look on the DV clip, so this mean I would have to scale  that ??

• 3. Re: Matching Aspect Ratios
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your dv clip is 4:3 and you want letterbox you have to put black bars over the clip.

In that case you loose top and bottom of that clip.

You can make them yourself in the titler or there is a ready made template in the titler.

• 4. Re: Matching Aspect Ratios
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm thinking more about the 16:9 part, and that got me thinking... (Ann, where am I going wrong?)

Why use a 4:3 sequence? And what will you really have if you burn in letter boxing in a 720x480 sequence? For most 4:3 exports, the DVD player/TV combo will add the letterboxing, and th4e problem is how to handle the HDV clip in a 4:3 sequence.

I think your original picture is wrong. You should use an HDV sequence (so 16:9), and don't scale the DV, so it will be pillar boxed.

If you watch this on a 4:3 TV, you will see it letterboxed (because the overall frame is 16:9), but the 4:3 section will also be pillarboxed. To get the 4:3 section to "match" the 16:9 (without stretching it), you would have to scale it up and crop the top and bottom.

If you watch this on a 16:9 TV, it will fill the screen, and the 4:3 section will be pillarboxed. As before, to get the 4:3 section to "match" the 16:9 (without stretching it), you would have to scale it up and crop the top and bottom.

• 5. Re: Matching Aspect Ratios
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Why use a 4:3 sequence?

Because if you put 4:3 material into a 16:9 sequence, you will have to scale it up to fill side to side.  And that's generally bad advice.  Upscaling causes degradation.