11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 9:54 AM by rob day

What hires pdf settings should I use?

lister110 Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I am about to save HIGHEST pdfs from indesign CS5, but unfortunately I  haven't been given any pdf settings from the printer, the printer just asked for them to be High Res. My question is what settings should I use from indesign. The artwork has been setup at quarter of the final size and there are drop shadows and effects from inside indesign, which will need to be flattened.

The document has a CMYK colour setting FOGRA39. I have exported a test pdf from indesign using these settings:

PDFX 1a 2001 (I have used this in the past)

Compression: Do not downsample (Colour and Greyscale) but leave Monochrome

I'm including bleed on as requested

Output: No Colour conversion, don't include profiles

Advanced: High Resolution (Not sure if I can push this further?)

All this has been done at home, some of the logos may have a U.S Web profile attached to them as they were supplied at the very last moment (Im sure this will be ok).

any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

lister

• 1. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Setup at 25% sounds like some sort of large format project. If you tell us more about it we can give you better advice. What's the expected viewing distance? Printing method?

• 2. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
            lister110 Level 1

well its  exhibition stands so digital printing in 1.5m strips. the Walls will be viewed relatively close.

cheers

lister

• 3. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?

Most service bureaus seem to like 150 ppi at print size for that sort of thing (we certainly did when I worked in one, and all the places I've sent similar work have done the same). Are your images in the layout at 600 ppi effective resolution? It's OK if they're higher, but much lower may be an issue. I think, too, at that scale the resolution on effects is probably adequate at 75 ppi, so the High Resolution flattener preset should be OK, but I wouldn't flatten the file unless they tell you to do so. I think there's a lower probabilty of transparency artifacts if they do the flattening in the RIP. I'd be more inclined, I think, to use the PDF/X-4 preset than the X-1a both to keep the transparency live and to keep the colors unchanged (especially if you have RGB in the file, too), but ask the printer.

• 4. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
                lister110 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I asked the printer what settings to use and he said HIRES only. The images in the artwork have been provided by the client at the very last minute so thats all we have to go with. In a perfect world a lot of the imagery would have been worked upto size.

cheers

• 5. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?

I don't suppose there's anyone else at the printer you can speak to, like the person who runs the printer....

I once did some slightly larger than life-size prints of people wearing shoes for wallpaper in a shoe store. Best we could muster from the manufacturer's supplied photos was about 70 ppi, as I recall. The prints actually looked quite good from three feet or further away. You can get a way with a lot more on most inkjet plotters (whcih tend to use stochastic screening) than you would on a laser or a press.

• 6. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
                    lister110 Level 1

Im afraid not, I have just tried calling and noones there who can help and I have to send these over Monday.

• 7. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
                      Muppet Mark Level 5

I used to work at a large format printer some years back… Every thing right up to them things that wrap buildings etc. At that time they were ripping the files at 72dpi at actual size. Things have most likely got much better quality since back then. If this printer won't give you the required spec give them the best quality you've got. I make a preset that has NO image subsampling so they have everything at artwork efffective res thats the best I got… Even a press quality preset is going to start subsampling at around 450dpi

• 8. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
                        lister110 Level 1

Thanks Mark. I have used the above settings with no flatterning, do you think leaving it unflatterned is the best deal?

• 9. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
                          Muppet Mark Level 5

If they won't answer your calls or supply you with file specs what more can you do? We had various output devices and the required specs differed significantly… Where possible I want printer supplied *.joboptions files for PDF workflow… Only they can really help you…

• 10. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have exported a test pdf from indesign using these settings:

If you're running a test proof before delivering the job, you might consider sending a PDF/X-4 rather than PDF/X-1a and include some RGB images that push the color gamut. Large format printers are usually inkjet and they do their own color conversions in the print driver—a CMYK press profile like Fogra can't really be a profile for an inkjet printer so chances are any CMYK objects will get reconverted at print time and the fact that PDF/X-1a doesn't include source profiles might be a problem.

With PDF/X-4 nothing gets flattened and all color gets profiled, so in a test proof you could see what happens to larger gamut RGB objects as well as Fogra and SWOP CMYK objects.

PDF/X-1a is designed for jobs destined for a CMYK offset press where everything needs to be forced into the presses CMYK space (i.e. Fogra) during export with the understanding that there won't be any further color management at print time.

• 11. Re: What hires pdf settings should I use?
                              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Output: No Colour conversion, don't include profiles

All this has been done at home, some of the logos may have a U.S Web profile attached

Also, when you set output to no color conversion you no longer are exporting to the PDF/X-1a standard. Your PDF has no profiles or output intent, so the printer has no idea what the source  CMYK color is—was it US SWOP or Japan Color 2001? And there will be no distinction between the placed US SWOP CMYK objects and your document's Fogra CMYK objects.