11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 1:03 PM by BobLevine

Placed text not coming through complete

LouWrench Level 1

Weird stuff

I am doing a book with 12 .docs in it. I place the first text with smart text reflow on and it is ok, I leave my curser at the end of the text, and place again. The document runs on till the text ends, but with extra blank page(s) up to the first blank R/H page, which has the little red cross, bottom right. I go back to my last bit of text and delete the para end and the text runs on until maybe another stop in text flow. I am working in a document that has been styled by the designer>

CS5 Lion

• 1. Re: Placed text not coming through complete
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The red plus sign means overset text. Lots of reasons that can happen, but typically it is caused by some sort of "keeps" requirement that is impossible, or by text that cannot be broken within the width of the column. That happens a lot with new users who think No Break is the same asn turning of hyphenation, but this sounds more like a problem in the Word file. Typical causes would be huge paragraph indents or very large type sizes specified, or a string of words separated by non-breaking spaces with no hyphenation allowed.

The easiest way I know to figure out what's wrong is to switch to the Story Editor and look at the first part of the overset text to see what attributes it has.

• 2. Re: Placed text not coming through complete
            LouWrench Level 1

Thanks for that!

I never use story editor, basically because I don't know how or why.

But the first line in the overset had 114.3 mm left indent and it was coming into 85 mm columns.

I think the author uses that instead of tab, tab, tab...

Must read up on story editor.

Lou

• 3. Re: Placed text not coming through complete
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You certainly should. It’s one of the great…and most overlooked…features of InDesign.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Placed text not coming through complete
                LouWrench Level 1

I imagine it could be, but the help menu, seems to put it forward as an "idiot" text machine, makes me think of those Linotype systems

that had one computer and "idiot" keyboards and monitors, Very powerful, "but ya gotta know you stuff" and left behind with Venturer!

Any pointers to where I can get a basic understanding of the usefulness of Story Editor?

Lou

• 5. Re: Placed text not coming through complete

There’s nothing really to understand. It’s a very basic text editor.

What I like to do is set the display as two up with the story editor in one window and the layout in the other. Any changes you make in one are immediately updated in the other so you can see the results of what you’re doing.

Bob

• 6. Re: Placed text not coming through complete
                    LouWrench Level 1

I understand that, but what is the advantage? Does it make the work faster, easier, better... or is there a just a bit of nostagia there?

Lou

• 7. Re: Placed text not coming through complete

If you had done this in the first place you never would have needed to ask the question. You would have found the problem right off the bat.

That’s the advantage.

Bob

• 8. Re: Placed text not coming through complete
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

LouWrench wrote:

But the first line in the overset had 114.3 mm left indent and it was coming into 85 mm columns.

As I said, this is typical of authors. That's about 2.3 inches, which makes it sound like it might have been some sort of heading that was supposed to be centered on a letter-size page. I'm constantly amazed at the "clever" tricks Word users think of.

U&nlike Bob, I don't keep stroy editor open all the time, but whenever there's something odd going on, or even if you just wnat to know how much text is in that overset, it's the first thing I do.

• 9. Re: Placed text not coming through complete

I don’t keep it open all the time either. But the second I see something funky like this I open it.

Bob

• 10. Re: Placed text not coming through complete
                            Bo LeBeau Level 4

Story Editor is one of the great unsung features that made the transition from PageMaker to InDesign.

Unfortunately almost no one knows at it!

It can be useful when editing text that is in a font that is hard to read.

Which way would you prefer to edit this text. In the documents display or in the story editor?

story-editor.jpg

You can also change the font, the size, etc  that the story editor uses for it's display. A lot easier to read while editing text set in a small size..

The story editor display font is only for display in the editor and does not change the font in your document.

You can also use the story editor to track changes. Above you can see the original word "quas" was changed to "WORLD"

Turning on "Show Hidden Characters" can help you find to double spaces. extra tabs, show the difference between a soft return and a hard return, etc.

It really comes in handy with receiving text files from someone else that usually comes in with a lot of extraneous returns and other issues.

editor-prefs.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Placed text not coming through complete

Also good if the story is split between pages, sideways or upside down.

Bob