3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 12:52 PM by BennyB0Y

Image Mask Transition.... Premiere Elements 10... Someone please help!!!!!

BennyB0Y

I have followed the instructions to the letter on p136 of the "premiereelements_10_help.pdf" and somehow the image mask transition just does not seem to work.

With a Black & White one colour should be transparent to one clip and the colour to the other clip, but instead I just get the Black & White image thrown on the screen.

Just like a pasted inage into the joined clips.

Please can someone help as I'm sure there must be a step missing.

Using WIndows 7 x64 with the 64 bit version of Premiere Elements 10.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Image Mask Transition.... Premiere Elements 10... Someone please help!!!!!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's hard to say what's going wrong without knowing step-by-step what you're doing.

What happens if you use the default black image?

When you use it or any black and white image to define your mask, black should be transparent, defining the cookie cutter shape of the transition.

It sure works for me.

• 2. Re: Image Mask Transition.... Premiere Elements 10... Someone please help!!!!!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

CORRECTION

It works for me on my XP computer. It does NOT work on my Windows 7 64-bit!

I get the same thing you do. Instead of a transition, the image just appears.

For better or worse, I think you've discovered a bug in the 64-bit version. Please log it with Adobe by clicking the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of this forum page.

Sorry about that.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Image Mask Transition.... Premiere Elements 10... Someone please help!!!!!
              BennyB0Y Level 1

No worries. Thank you so much for your reply. I thought I was going MAD!!! ( I slowly was!!! )

Will Contact Adobe about this tomorrow.

In the meantime if you're reading this and also are using Windows 7 x64 with the 64-bit version of Adobe Premiere Elements 10,

please try using the "Image Mask" transition using the following steps (as per page 136 of the Premiere Elements 10 manual)

<------------------------------ From Adobe Premiere Elements 10 PDF Manual - Follow these steps to the letter. Play your clip back... watch it fail on Win 7 x64 ---------------------------------------->

Create special transitions

Create an Image Mask transition

You can use a black-and-white bitmap image as a transition mask.

The first clip replaces the black area in the image, and the second clip replaces the white areas in the image.

If you use a grayscale image for the mask, pixels containing 50% or more gray convert to black, and pixels containing less than 50% gray convert to white.

Apply an Image Mask transition

1. In the Tasks panel, click Edit, and then click Transitions .
              2. From the menus in the Transition view, select Video Transitions from the first menu, select Special Effects from the second menu, and locate the Image Mask transition.
              3. Drag the Image Mask transition to a cut between clips in the Timeline.
              4. In the Image Mask Settings dialog box, click Select Image.
              5. Locate and select the image file you want to use as a transition mask, and click Open. The image appears in the Image Mask Settings dialog box.
              6. Click OK.

Cheers.