7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 6:14 AM by Rick Gerard

Question about cameras

jamie98s

When I make a new camera it doesnt orbit the way I want, But when I click the Custom View camera it orbits the way I want, How do I make the Camera 1 orbit like a custom view camera?

• 1. Re: Question about cameras
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Custom Views are not cameras, hence there can be no way to sync them with camera layers. Other than that there is no magic trick. It's merely a matter of practice and understanding AE's 3D space, but since you didn't provide any info or screenshots nobody will be able to give more specific advice.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Question about cameras
            jamie98s Level 1

I just wanted to know why when using the orbit camera tool in custom view the view rotates normally, but when I do it on a camera it orbits weirdly. why do they orbit differently?

• 3. Re: Question about cameras
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As I said, without more info nobody will be able to advice specifically. The custom views orbit around an imaginary origin point based on the framing of the view, the camera by default orbits around its own anchor point. If something acts funny, then from extreme zoom factors to the the placment of the anchor point being off anything is possible. If it's too difficult to fix, simply cdelete the camera and create a new one ands start over.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Question about cameras
                bogiesan Level 4

jamie98s wrote:

I just wanted to know why when using the orbit camera tool in custom view the view rotates normally, but when I do it on a camera it orbits weirdly. why do they orbit differently?

Define "weirdly." That will help us to help you.

Acould just be your life in AE. After about ten years of working with AE's camera, it's no longer odd; cameras behave exactly as I expect them to.

• 5. Re: Question about cameras
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you create a 2 node camera your orbit tool will behave as it does in the custom views because they are 2 node views. If you create a one node camera then the orbit tool isn't an orbit tool anymore it's a pan and tilt tool for the camera and it's very difficult to use. Most create 2 node cameras.

Screen Shot 2012-01-23 at 8.33.09 AM.png

• 6. Re: Question about cameras
                    jamie98s Level 1

sorry for not being more specific. When I orbit a camera it orbits around a wide center, when I orbit in custom view it stays centered and just rotates the view, not the camera itself.

• 7. Re: Question about cameras
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are probably being confused because the custom views are orthographic and the camera view is perspective. If you have a wide lens you'll get perspective shifts if you have multiple layers stacked up. Set the camera lens to 28mm with a 2 node camera and give the orbit tool a try. Now create a new camera and set the lens to 5000mm and give it a try. You'll see what I mean.