14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 8:40 AM by Jim_Simon

Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted

Geoff Vane Level 1

I'm looking for some fellow broadcast guys who work at a TV station.

Please, One-Man-Company guys, no matter how much I respect your hard working and forum answers; I ask you not to respond.

A. Tell me which station you work at. This gives me an idea of scale.

B. Tell me if you're using Mac or PC

C. What is your experience as to working with CS5 and CS5.5 as to stability? In particular when using dynamic link or more than one Adobe program.

D. Are you using any Pro boards to hook your PC up to an SDI environment? If so, please tell me which one.

E. Can you operatie any deck with remote control?

F. Do you know a VERY good European or American engineer we could hire, to strip the system and rebuild it?

G. Have you got a solution to create audio that is compliant with the new European Loudness regulations?

I've got very serious problems with 5.0 and Matrox MXO2.

The expensive PC system is competely useless.

Since 5.5 is absolutely no guarrantee for better Matrox behaviour, my employer is not going to upgrade.

• 1. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
          lasvideo Level 4

Well Geoff, since you just alienated a large portion of folks here that work at a "professional" level of expertese, but may be associated with smaller operations. Your loss. I will respect your request not to respond to your questions. But when you get a moment, feel free to check out my website and look at the large facilities I have worked at in the past , my client list (HBO, Ford, Acme Markets, etc) and clips of my work. I understand your intent, but its unfortunate how you chose to express yourself.

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

• 2. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
            Jon Chappell Level 3

Tom, he's looking for people working in similar environments. He didn't say one-man operations were unprofessional so I'm not sure where you got that from.

• 3. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
              lasvideo Level 4

Yes John, I see your point. But much of what he requests info about (questions B,C,D,) can be addressed by folks extremely familiar with the system (i.e., Matrox issues) and generating projects for use in broadcast. But I see where you are coming from and if I could reedit my statement, I would.

Geoff, good luck solving your issues . 

• 4. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                Geoff Vane Level 1

Sorry Tom, I am not a native speaker so the "one-man operation" is not a term to diss anyone but just my lack of finding the right words.

I know this irritation would pop up but I have no choice.

Too many guys come up with the "reinstall your computer etc.etc." solutions.

Some guys here are top level, some guys are entry market: I can't see who is who and might get wrong answers.

I respect everyone: I've been a loner in the attic and it wasn't funny. I've done the basic stuff too.

But unfortunately I do get a lot of response of so called high level experts, who unfortunately are not.

They are so very sure they really are , but no they are not.

People who can't resist mentioning the bleeding obvious or workarounds. No more: core knowledge only.

Right now, I must know if any serious broadcast guy can put up with the Adobe / MXO2 environment.

And answer the rest I mentioned.

Adobe is not offering any serious help other than "try disable all services"and clicking on "case is closed"

If they want to send an engineer, fine, we will pay for it gladly. But no more phone in help; it sucks big time.

Same goes for Matrox, the hard working guys from India can't help me over internet/phone.

If you are not too offended, you can send me a mail with your findings Tom.

• 5. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                  lasvideo Level 4

I understand Geoff. My work flow is based around the Kona 3 card. Partially because they make great equipment AND they have wonderful tech support. But with Matrox I have no experience. I do have lots of experience with dynamic linking from CS 5.5 PrP to AE and have found a technique that insures stability. If you Google search I have written on this technique quite often to help folks that are having issues with it.

• 6. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It seems to me like C, D, E and G are the key questions here.

It also seems like anyone who has real experience with those topics might be able to offer valuable insight, regardless of their current employer.

For example, off the top of my head I can think of three regulars here (including Tom) who create broadcast content, and may be able to provide real answers, but who don't currently work at a TV station.  It'd be to your detriment to ask them not to respond.

• 7. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                      Islanders66 Level 1

"The expensive PC system is competely useless."

Can you provide the specs?

I've visited a news room running PC with 5.0. They had about a dozen work stations for editing.

• 8. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                        GeoffVane Level 1

You can download the specs here. I don't know if it will list the video interface, but that would be the Matrox MXO2 Rack.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24373658/Specs%20PC%20Graficus%2001.txt

If you have any other question regarding the system specs, just ask.

Problem is, Matrox & Adobe discontinued 5.0 support, even when it never has worked.

So if you want a "working" system, you MUST buy 5.5. I think it should be a free upgrade because of the bugged build 5.0.

Since I can't prove 5.5 will work, my employer won't buy it.

The Matrox site shows just as many errors with 5.5 as there are with 5.0

Maybe I should have bought Macs. I certainly should not have bought Matrox material.

• 9. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                          lasvideo Level 4

Geoff Vane -"Maybe I should have bought Macs. . "

Thats funny. Im abandoning my Mac Pro to get better performance from PCs 

I use the AJA Kona 3 card. Their products and support are second to none. I know ALL hardware exporting to external monitors have had their challenges with Premiere. It seems the AJA products perform better than most. You might just try to call and speak to one of their Kona tech service people as a "pre sale" scouting call. They are very nice and knowledgeable.

http://www.aja.com/company/contact-us.php

• 10. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                            Islanders66 Level 1

I can understand your frustration. I could try to get a contact for the news station here that has Adobe 5.0.

• 11. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                              Geoff Vane Level 1

It could help. I do not know if they use two programs at the same time, but let's try.

I heard good things about the AJA Kona indeed.

I picked Matrox because my archive footage was Matrox too. Regrets...

• 12. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                                Pharther Phurther Level 1

AJA are great people.

Adobe on a Mac Pro blows until somebody wakes up.

• 13. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                                  lasvideo Level 4

Actually, Adobe on my early 2008 Mac Pro  3,1 runs great. Apple screwed up something on the new machines that create the issues you and others are experiencing. Its general knowledge that Apples implementation of hyperthreading on the newer machines is less than stellar.They dont care about professionals like us anymore and wont fix their software to accomadate our needs. Unless we buy their phones or musical toys. I have nothing but dusgust for Apple.

• 14. Re: Broadcast Pro CS5 & 5.5 info wanted
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I have nothing but dusgust for Apple.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/roylapost/Animated/Smileys/th_smiley-hug2.jpg