5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 7:05 PM by 6965ASim

Placing Hanyu Pinyin (with tone markings) above Chinese Characters in InDesign 5

6965ASim

Hi,

I'm creating a document using InDesign 5 containing English, Chinese and Tamil characters. 

How do I place hanyu pinyin and tone markings ABOVE (or BELOW) the Chinese characters in this InDesign 5 document?  In MSWord, there is a function called Phonetic Guide which allows me to create 'Ruby Text' of Chinese characters and the associated hanyu pinyin.  The resulting Chinese characters show up with the pinyin and tonal markings. 

Please advise if this is possible in InDesign 5 and how to do it?

Thanks.

Adrian

OSX Lion, MBP13'. CS5

• 1. Re: Placing Hanyu Pinyin (with tone markings) above Chinese Characters in InDesign 5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ruby are supported inthe Japanese version of ID, and, I think, if you turn on the World-ready composer in the English versions. Hopefully Joel, who really understands this stuff, will jump in, but in the meantime I suggest you check out the WorldTools Pro plugin at In-Tools.com

• 2. Re: Placing Hanyu Pinyin (with tone markings) above Chinese Characters in InDesign 5
            David W. Goodrich Level 3

If it's just pinyin tone-marked vowels you want, they are included in Unicode, though very few fonts offer them.  Note that ID differs from MSWord, in that if you have such a font installed, MSWord will silently swap in characters from that font to display the codes properly; ID won't change the font for you (which I appreciate).

If you want to put tone-marked text above CJK characters, World Tools Pro can do it, and Harbs posted a screen shot here.  Two weeks ago and a few notes down, he reported some issues with the interface such that potential users might want to contact him -- though by now he may well have posted a corrected version of World Tools Pro.

David

• 3. Re: Placing Hanyu Pinyin (with tone markings) above Chinese Characters in InDesign 5
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Actually, Peter, I think that David knows more than me about Chinese-related stuff. More than a billion people use Chinese, it's not nearly unusual enough to be interesting to me. (...mostly kidding. Chinese is totally fascinating, but it's not my main area of expertise, avatars nonwithstanding.)

For what it's worth, Adrian, I'd advide against using ruby if anyone else ever needs to use your files. That thread that David linked to is an excellent reason why - if anyone using only English ID without World Tools tries to use your file, they'll wind up in the same situation as the original poster in that thread. If it's just for your use, or if your personal project going to print, then using ruby for pronunciation guides is a fine idea.

• 4. Re: Placing Hanyu Pinyin (with tone markings) above Chinese Characters in InDesign 5
                David W. Goodrich Level 3

I forgot to mention a short-cut to putting pinyin above Chinese characters: use a font that has this built into the "glyphs."  Arphic offers several.  I've experimented with the some from the first version of this set, and other foundries also used to offer them.  Don't be mislead by the fact that the URL includes "zhu-yin" (as in bopomofo pronunciation symbols): the set also offers fonts with pinyin.

Of course, this short-cut isn't perfect.  In particular, you have to worry whether the fonts include all the characters you need, or all the pronunciations you may need for a given character.  Also, the pinyin must fit the character's width, which is tidy, but to fit, say, the 6 letters of "zhuāng" (of Zhuangzi) into that space they must be small.  But if you can live with the limitations, this approach is probably the simplest.

Good luck!

David

• 5. Re: Placing Hanyu Pinyin (with tone markings) above Chinese Characters in InDesign 5
                  6965ASim Level 1

Dear David G, Peter S, Joel C,

Thank you very much for all your help.  I just had 2 days of Chinese New Year celebrations in Singapore and just got back to my email.  All your precious input has been very helpful and I will explore the best approach for my project. 

I'm a super novice with InDesign.  Nevertheless, I'm using InDesign for my Catholic Movement's 50th Anniversary book publication this year because I understand this is the platform used in the Print industry.  Hence, my move away from MSWord or Pages for this project.  From what I've experienced, InDesign is a very powerful and flexible tool to express your creativity. 

We are a small Movement with limited budget; so I'll try out what's already available in InDesign.  However, I think World Tools Pro is the ideal solution.  In-Tools (Harb) has taken time to assure me it will work.  Thanks for holding my hand, Harb! 

From the forum stats, it looks like this topic is quite relevant with relatively high views.  Hopefully, this can be a thing of the past with future editions of InDesign. 

Once again, my sincere thanks to all of you.

Adrian

PS. I'll share with you on my progress in the project in time.