5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 12:48 PM by the_wine_snob

Title/Action Safe Areas

Wallackb

I have an IMAC and when I start Premiere Elements I set up a new project as NTSC-HDV-HDV 1080i 30. My first question is what is the difference between

this setting and the NTSC - AVCHD-HD-1080i 30 setting?

The second question deals with Title/Action Safe Area. I was under the impression that when I made my original settings choice, Premiere Elements would

automatically setup the correct Title/Action Safe area for the type of movie I was capturing. However, after I capture a clip and then move that clip to the Timelime,

the clip extends PAST the 2 rectangles that make up the Title/Safe Area. The clip fills up the entire rectangle extending past the 2 rectangles.

If I shrink the picture, by using the clip handles, then I have to render the captured clip and if I have to re-render the entire movie, this will take a ridiculous number of hours.

Is it necessary for the clip to fit into the Action Safe rectangle? If so, why doesn’t Preimeire Elements accomplish this during capture?

• 1. Re: Title/Action Safe Areas
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The HDV setting if for editing tape-based hi-def video. AVCHD is for hard drive-based hi-def video that's been compressed using the AVC codec.

The Title Safe Area are guides for you. They're the areas you should keep any text you add to your video in. As you know, all TVs cut a little off around the edge of your video frame. Keeping your text in the Title Safe Area assures all of your text will be visible on-screen on any TV.

You don't want your video to shrink down to fit inside the area though! If you did, all of your video would play with a black frame around it!

The Content Safe Area and Title Safe Area are for your reference only. Keep your important stuff -- NOT all of your stuff! -- within these guides.

• 2. Re: Title/Action Safe Areas
            the_wine_snob Level 9

To elaborate a bit more on Action Safe & Title Safe Areas a bit more, when all TV's were CRT's, there was "overscan," and the full signal fell outside of the CRT tube's coverage, with the exception of broadcase monitors, which always showed the full Raster, or 100% of the signal. With those, the Action Save Area was the "general" coverage of the majority of the CRT TV's sold. The Title Safe Area, stepped in (around another 10%) to guarantee that everything would definitely fall within the overscan of those CRT TV's.

Back in the CRT-only days, broadcast material usually had certain elements outside of the overscan area, i.e. outside of the Action Safe Area, such as timing codes for commercials, color bars for calibration by the TV stations, and others. Often, there would be a countdown timer, so that the broadcast engineers knew how long before a major cut, to queue up a tape with a commercial, or promo. That material was obvious on the stations' broadcast monitors, that showed 100% of the image.

With the advent of HD TV's, whether LCD, LED or Plasma, area of overscan was diminished, and with many, is now 0%, i.e. Full Raster. Still, many new TV's have some overscan, but that is usually much smaller, than when the TV's used CRT's.

As Steve mentions, the Action Safe Area, and the Title Safe Area, are but suggestions. As an editor has no control over what TV's their clients might have, they are still useful guides.

In some NLE programs, like PrPro, one can adjust the Action Safe and Title Safe Areas, to suit their needs.

If one were to Crop to the Action Safe Area guides, then for any TV, that is 100% of Raster, there would be black bars, hence Steve's rec. to NOT limit the full Frame Size to that guide.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Title/Action Safe Areas
              Wallackb Level 1

Thanks for the help. Learned something new. I always thought you had to keep everything within the Action Safe Area..

• 4. Re: Title/Action Safe Areas
                Wallackb Level 1

thanks for the help. I always thought that everything had to be in the Action Safe Area. it definitely makes things much easier knowing that this is not required.

• 5. Re: Title/Action Safe Areas
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I always thought you had to keep everything within the Action Safe Area..

No - just the "important" stuff.

Happy editing,

Hunt