9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 4:47 PM by andrei.herasimchuk

How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?

GayRWhite Level 1

How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?

I am using either of the path selection tools to select only some of the paths on the layer. I have the proper layer targeted. I have the selection too auto select option turned off.

If another layer has a path in that area, that layer becomes auto targeted and I get the wrong path. Turning off the layer is the only way to avoid this but then I have to  turn on the layer back on between making my selection and transforming to use the other layer as guide. Is there any way to stop this auto select? Locking the other layer does not stop the auto select, just prevents editing.

• 1. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

As far as i know the move tool options don't have any effect on the path selection tools.

You might try clicking on one of the path points or on the path itself with one of path selection tools and if you want to select multiple points

you can shift click with the Direct Selection Tool or Alt click to select the entire path.

more path shortcuts:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSDA7A5830-33A2-4fde-AD86-AD9873DF9FB7a.htm l

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7391a.h tml

• 2. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
            stuartml

This response is not helpful but the question is misleading. This is an extremely frustrating "functionality problem" that gets in the way of completing a project.

While working with Shape Layers, the command button that toggles auto-select functionality should NOT interact with the path anchors and lines.

This is what is causing the problem - the functionality of auto-selecting Paths is conflicting with auto-selecting Shape Layers- and this should not happen.

If you're in the move tool, you're looking to select and move layers...not paths.

Currently, if you want to move a Path - you can go into the Path Selection Tool (black arrow), then move the path...easy. it's straightforward that when you're in the Path tool you are working with the paths. 

When you move Shape Layers around the only time the path information should show up is if you press 'A' to go to the Path tool.

Currently, you can press shift while in Path Selection Tool (A) to select multiple Paths- but it isn't as accurate as selecting the Shape layers using 'V' and 'Command' with the auto-select tool on.

Unfortunately when holding down 'Shift' to select multiple Shape Layers it begins to conflict with the paths. If you hover over any of the currently selected Shape Layers it begins to show the paths too - and if you attempt to click another Shape Layer it starts modifying the Path lines and Anchors, instead of selecting the next Shape Layer.

If you are attempting to select multiple shape layers you can't because the paths start getting selected and this completely stops your workflow.

This is a terrible functionality problem which is basically getting in the way of anyone attempting to do complex and professional Shape Layer intensive projects in Photoshop.

The solution would simply be to disable path selection while using the move tool.

Use the path tools if you want to interact with the path anchors and lines or have a toggle to enable/disable path selection in the move tool.

• 3. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
              stuartml Level 1

I've made a video of the problem.

Here's how selecting the Shape Layers should look, I've rasterized them to show how easy it should be:

Selecting a Shape Layer boot - raster layers

Now here is attempting to select multiple Shape Layers and how the paths get selected, ruining everything:

Selecting a boot - vector Shape Layers

A workaround is to meticulously select the Shape Layers using control+shift so that each time the menu pops up.

Selecting the boot - vector Shape Layers workaround

The workaround is not ideal but hope it helps you complete a project.

• 4. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
                Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

What version of photoshop and operating are you using?

In jan 2012 when the post was started, the current photoshop version was cs5 and now it's cc 2015 and there have been several changes to the way paths are selected since cs5.

• 5. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
                  stuartml Level 1

This is the latest version of photoshop CC, as I stated in my reply - this is an issue with Shape Layers and isn't really about Path selection.  Have a look at these videos:

Here's how selecting the Shape Layers should look, I've rasterized them to show how easy it should be:

Selecting a Shape Layer boot - raster layers

Now here is attempting to select multiple Shape Layers and how the Paths get selected unintentionally (ie. we don't want to select Paths here), ruining everything:

Selecting a boot - vector Shape Layers

A workaround is to meticulously select the Shape Layers using control+shift so that each time the menu pops up.

Selecting the boot - vector Shape Layers workaround

• 6. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

stuartml wrote:

This response is not helpful but the question is misleading. This is an extremely frustrating "functionality problem" that gets in the way of completing a project.

Stuart, you probably should have started a new thread with your issue, because of the significant changes since the beginning of 2012 that RK has mentioned.  There is a provision to Branch the thread (at post #2) by one of the forum mods — I assume with a new subject line.  It might be less confusing, and we can see you feel strongly about this.  Or do you just want to make a feature request on the Photoshop Feedback site?

Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 7. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
                      stuartml Level 1

the significant changes since the beginning of 2012 that RK has mentioned.

Hi Trevor. The changes RK mentioned are not related to the original question.

There is a provision to Branch the thread (at post #2) by one of the forum mods — I assume with a new subject line.

I can start a new post about this, or are you saying the mods will be doing this? The original post was the right place for my response - this is more related to 'Shape Layers' than paths.

Or do you just want to make a feature request on the Photoshop Feedback site?

I'll post it there now, thanks.

• 8. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
                        stuartml Level 1

I just reviewed the issue again and perhaps it is just a matter of getting used to a different workflow, that is keeping the toggle for auto-select ON, I'm still going to post a small suggested tweak.  For anyone who is having troubles with selecting multiple 'Shape Layers' using Command+Shift please read:

Pressing Command+Shift+Click to automatically select multiple groups or layers while using 'Shape Layers' and while "auto-select" is disabled (Command toggles this on or off) is going into Direct Path Selection mode when the cursor hovers over a 'Shape Layer' edge/path - instead of staying in Shape Layer selection. This is presumably to make quick edits to the paths easier while in the move tool.

Here's a workaround though (or perhaps... simply the ideal usage): Toggle auto-select ON and just use Shift+Click to select multiple layers (instead of Command+Shift+Click).

This is good enough for me... If the PS team wants to reduce a "toggle step" during this process they could consider disabling the 'Direct Path Selection' mode when Shift is held.

• 9. Re: How do you turn off the auto select behavior when working with shape layers?
                          andrei.herasimchuk

Can we get a new thread or answer to Stuart in this one? He's correct that this behavior is very much broken. The Move Tool should NOT be dynamically switching to the Select or Direct Select Tool whenever the Cmd (or CTRL) key is held down and hovering over a path. Even when the shape layer is selected in the Layers Palette. For example, if I have the marquee tool selected, a shape layer selected in the Layers palette, then hold CMD and try to move the shape, I'll sometimes adjusting the path shape if I click on the path itself.

This behavior is maddening, and breaks a lot of workflow rhythm when it happens while making a lot of quick adjustments.

The Move Tool is for moving layers, not adjusting path shapes. If the team believes users want this behavior, that behavior should be tied to a preference on the Move Tool to allow switching to Select/Direct Select on hover instead of forcing everyone to have to work this way.