5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 4:28 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS5 Contents Page Setup...HELP!

janetcovey

I am trying to set up a contents page in ID CS5. I know you have to use your paragraph style sheets to make this work. There is a styled section headl in the doc and then a styled paragraph with an opening that has a bold couple of words, and the rest body copy. I only want that bold portion to come into the TOC not the rest. If ID uses only paragraph styles to access the info for the TOC how can I style that Intro paragraph in a way that it will only take the bold first words??? I can't change the style of the doc (ie, put the bold intro on another line...not possible) and I can't go in after the fact and take out the three sentences on every one of these TOC line items when there are so many pages. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 Contents Page Setup...HELP!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The TOC is going to include the entire paragraph up to the limit for the number of characters. You can't have it pick up only part of the paragraph, but you can edit the listing to remove the part you don't want after the TOC is generated, or you can create a new, non-printing paragraph, with a new style to be included, and put only the text you want to appear in the listing in that paragraph. The new paragraph can be in a separate frame anywher on the page, or on a layer marked as non-printing if you like.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 Contents Page Setup...HELP!
            janetcovey Level 1

Rats I was hoping to avoid that. Can I put the box in the space off the page or does it need to exist on the page? Also as I am setting up the TOC specs and want to have a tab leader is there any way to set the tab dots up to be larger than the size of the font? So in other words if you have 10 point type for the title and the number can you make a 12 point dot leader?

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 Contents Page Setup...HELP!

The paragraph must be on the page, not the pasteboard, for the TOC to pick it up. Put it in the margin area if you like. Just make sure it's either on a layer set to non-printing, or set non-printing for the frame in the Attributes panel.

I like to use a custom underline on the tab between the listing and the number so I can use the Japanese Dots stroke style (they're closer together than the regular dots). You can add the underline as a nested character style in the paragraph style you use for the listing, and you can make it any weight you like and adust the offset to line it up anywhere you like vertically (and you don't have to use the Japanese dots).

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 Contents Page Setup...HELP!
                janetcovey Level 1

this might be a dumb question, but what's the difference between a "nested" character style and a regular one?

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 Contents Page Setup...HELP!

Nested character syles are applied automatically when a tigger inthe text is reached, such as None up to 1 tab, your underline style through 1, and then either nothing, or a second style can be added for the number itself. YOu should read about them in the help files. They are very handy, and becasue they are part of the Paragraph style they don't carry through if you pick a new paragraph style (very useful when formatting text in your headings, for example, that needs to have a character style applied, but ath you don't want formatted the same way in the TOC -- regualr character styles and local formatting overrides remain when you change the paragraph style).