25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 12:31 PM by Jeff Bellune

Ten Commandments for Editors

Harm Millaard Level 7
      1. Thou shalt only use Intel processors, not AMD's.
      2. Thou shalt not covet MAC or use MPB / iMAC, unless thou have deep pockets. (Thunderbolt $$$ are required).
      3. Thou shalt get the maximum number of cores, including hyper-threading that fit in thy budget.
      4. Thou shalt maximize memory and fill each memory channel / bank completely.
      5. Thou shalt avoid laptops as much as possible. Thou need a wall outlet anyway, so portability is a lame excuse.
      6. Thou shalt only use 7200 RPM (e)SATA disks or faster, never Green disks or USB2 disks.
      7. Thou shalt use at least three physical disks for practical editing.
      8. Thou shalt use a nVidia GTX 550+ or better video card for hardware MPE, no ATI cards.
      9. Thou shalt tune thy system to disable as many processes and services as thou can and overclock it.
      10. Thou shalt not covet SSD's as they do not help performance, only in emptying thy pockets.

• 1. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I was doing great until I hit #10.  I keep thinking there is hope for a top-of-the-line SSD as a system drive on a Premiere 5.5 or the upcoming 6.0 system.  I believe the benchmark results for Premiere indicating that a late model Velociraptor is the way to go, but I just can't figure why a faster system drive can't make a difference with Premiere.

• 2. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I just can't figure why a faster system drive can't make a difference with Premiere.

Because in a properly set up rig, the system drive just isn't use much during editing.

Now if someone made a 2TB, SATA III, SLC SSD for under $300...

• 3. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Harm that is going to rate right up there with Bill Gates Rules of Life, (except Bill had 11 rules) and be about as popular with the non converted.

• 4. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors

Suggestion for an 11th. commandment...

Thou shalt not blame the editing software vendor for B.S.O.D's when you hose your system build or use poor judgement.  E.G., attempt to edit hi-def on a top-of-the-line iMac.

• 5. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

To remain in style,

Thou shalt not blame the editing software vendor for B.S.O.D's when you hose your system build or use poor judgement.  E.G., attempt to edit hi-def on a top-of-the-line iMac.

should this not be translated  or rewritten to:

Thou shalt not blame the editing software vendor for B.S.O.D's when thou hose thy system build or use poor judgement.  E.G., attempt to edit hi-def on a top-of-the-line iMac.

• 6. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm Millaard wrote:

1. Thou shalt maximize memory and fill each memory channel / bank completely.

Yes, defijnitely maximize memory, and always divide it evenly between the memory channels that the CPU supports

Just to clarify one thing though about memory, if for instance you have one of the new i7-39xx processors which have 4 memory channels and a motherboard with 8 memory sockets it is not necessary to fill all the sockets, What I would do is maybe start with 4 each 8 GB modules and leave 4 sockets empty for future expansion   I do not believe that there would be a performance difference with that setup as opposed to buying 8 each 4 GB modules.  Of course there is a slight cost difference but then if you do at some point have to upgrade to 64 GB, you do not have to throw out all those 4 GB modules.

• 7. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Harm Millaard wrote:

1. Thou shalt use a nVidia GTX 550+ or better video card for hardware MPE, no ATI cards.

And by extension:

Thou shalt not cheap out on an nVidia video card even if it technically supports hardware MPE. This means no GT 520s, no GT 430s, no GT 440s (and the GTS 450 is marginal). In fact, on the PPBM5 results list, an i7-3960X system overclocked to 4.4GHz equipped with a GTS 450 turned out to be as slow as or slower than a stock-speed i7-2600K system with a GTX 470.

• 8. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

To correct Bill, even though we both mean the same thing:

Yes, defijnitely maximize memory, and always divide it evenly between the memory channels that the CPU supports

Thou shalt fill a memory channel completely, not divide it evenly between memory channels. What Bill and I mean is that on a dual channel architecture, thou shalt only use sets of two memory sticks, on triple channel only sets of three sticks and on quad channel only sets of four sticks, but in every case any channel should be filled completely before moving on to the next channel or bank.

• 9. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The businessman always can state the problem/solution better than an engineer!

• 10. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

LOL!

But the engineer has spec'ed. a 3x safety factor...

Hunt

• 11. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                              Jim_Simon Level 9

in every case any channel should be filled completely before moving on to the next channel or bank.

I disagree.  In motherboards with more than one slot per channel, you want to make sure you use at least one slot per channel to take advantage of the multi channel architecture.  If you put two DIMMS into channel A and nothing into channel B, you defeat the purpose of dual channel memory.

So the better advice is to distribute the DIMMS evenly between channels.

• 12. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry for not being clear, Jim. Let me rephrase:

Every bank in use should be populated completely. All channels in each memory bank in use should be used at all times.

• 13. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                  RjL190365 Level 4

The "ten commandments" here refers to building an Adobe-optimized editing rig, not editors per se.

Real editors use multiple different systems and multiple different programs - some of which are not compatible with Macs at all while only one of those (Final Cut) is not compatible with Windows at all. And these days real editors are shying away from Macs because the newest ones are designed for dumb consumers (all-in-ones with absolutely no internal expansion or upgrade capability whatsoever once configured) and because the currently available Mac Pros (the only internally upgradable ones) are holdovers from a year and a half ago. And from the looks of it, once the current Gulftown Intel Xeon CPUs that power these Mac Pros go EOL later this year, there will be no more new Mac Pros available.

• 14. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                    wonderspark Level 1

1) Having a system that works efficiently is one of the most important parts of editing. I don't know if you really edit video, but if you do, then you know that working on a system that doesn't run smoothly hinders the creative process of cutting a movie or project.

2) Premiere Pro, AVID, Final Cut (even X) and other editing tools are real tools that really edit video. Real people use them. They really get paid (sometimes, a lot!) to do so, and they really get seen on screens big and small. Nobody can tell what system was used to edit with when they watch something, and it would be foolish to think otherwise. I don't need to name the many "legit" places using Adobe tools.

3) I edit on a Mac, albeit a pretty nice Mac Pro. I've learned a lot about improving my system from these highly informative (and awesome, if I might say so) forums.

• 15. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors

This IS the Hardware forum.  It didn't surprise me that Harm wrote the ten commandments related to the do's and don'ts of hardware build and system configuration.  If one wants to know about editing, check out some Andrew Kramer tutorials and watch different types of media from film classics to corporate video productions.  Keep your ears and eyes open and take notes. 

Commandment 1.) for editors... When in a quandry between using a Cross Dissolve and Three-D transition, choose Cross Dissolve?  Yeah 99% of the time.

• 16. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                        Jeff Bellune Level 5

Inflammatory posts deleted from thread.  Remaining comments are still somewhat pertinent to the topic.  Let's keep it civil and relevant, please.

-Jeff

• 17. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                          LoveMac22

You guys all talk about having the best this and that hardware to edit and yet people are shooting and editing videos entirely on tablets/iPads now.  Having a computer that works is important, but knowing how to tell is story is 99% of editing.  Like a poster said earlier in this thread.  Nobody knows what you edited on. They only know how good or bad the video is you edited.  You can edit exactly the same on a PC or Mac. 

• 18. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                            Jeff Bellune Level 5

I'm not going to allow this thread to degenerate into a flame war over Mac vs. PC.  A bunch of stuff has been edited or outright deleted, both to control the platform debate and to keep the thread sort of on-topic.

Any more Mac vs. PC stuff and the thread will be locked.

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I'll reservedly agree to #10, Harm... I just put an SSD for my OS/Programs drive, and ran some tests to see how effective it was.

First, I will say that though booting and loading programs isn't "instant" as some claim, the machine is much snappier... booting has been cut in half, and loading programs happens in about a 10th the time it did on my old SATA 7200. However, once the program has loaded, there really isn't that much benefit out of the SSD. So while I've shaved 3-4 minutes off of my day through the combined time savings of loading programs and doing operations, I really haven't saved that much time.

Second, just for kicks I ran PPBM5.5 with everything JUST on the SSD (not spread across my three disks/arrays like usual). My total score was 337, which is only 4 points faster than my prior best total score, which was 341 (everything running on an external RAID-5 array). However, when that score is compared to everything being on one internal SATA 7200, it is quite a bit better: 406 for the other, which was 69 points higher. So if you're limited to one drive, and one drive only, get an SSD. If you've got deep pockets and don't need lots of space, multiple SSDs may well be significantly faster than standard drives. However, if your space needs are great, and if your pockets are deep enough, a well tuned RAID-5 array is just as fast as an SSD (close enough to not be significant), and far more secure for your data.

• 20. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                                Alan Craven Level 4

To return to Genesis, from Exodus, how about:

Thou shaly not covet thy neighbours Corsair 512GB SSD, Core i7 3960X, NVidia GTX590, Areca RAID, nor anything that is his.

• 21. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                                  RjL190365 Level 4

Alan Craven wrote:

Thou shaly not covet thy neighbours Corsair 512GB SSD, Core i7 3960X, NVidia GTX590, Areca RAID, nor anything that is his.

Except that the GTX 590 is actually slower than a GTX 560 Ti 448-core in CS5.5: The GTX 590 is a part that has two GPUs in an SLI configuration on a single card. And not only does Premiere Pro not support linked dual GPUs at all (only one of the GPUs in that card is used), but that each of the GPUs on the GTX 590 is also further handicapped by running effectively at only x8 bandwidth even though the slot is running at the full x16 bandwidth. Plus, its rated clock speed is much slower than a GTX 580. What's more, if SLI were left enabled on that card (or in any dual-card SLI setup), CS5.5 would have been forced to run entirely in MPE software-only mode even with the CUDA hack applied.

• 22. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                                    LoveMac22 Level 1

So a thread starts to talk about the negative things about Adobe and it can't be continued? Good Forum. Only good positive things can be discussed.

• 23. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

You are welcome to criticize Adobe. But a thread can get locked if anything you state ends up creating mayhem.

• 24. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                                        wonderspark Level 1

As I recall, you said something like, "...real editors use Avid..." or maybe it was Final Cut. It was a hollow shot at Adobe that had no basis in reality. If you use Adobe, and you have a problem with something, post the info and we can help you solve it. So far, it appears that you don't have Adobe and you're just spinning your wheels. If you have a point, make an effort to explain it.

• 25. Re: Ten Commandments for Editors
                                                          Jeff Bellune Level 5

LoveMac22 wrote:

So a thread starts to talk about the negative things about Adobe and it can't be continued? Good Forum. Only good positive things can be discussed.

You're perfectly welcome to talk about negative things concerning Adobe.  Just start your own thread and don't hijack someone else's.  And Mac vs. PC platform debates will be controlled quite carefully.  Generally, you can expect Mac vs. PC stuff to disappear unless a member has specifically requested opinions about the different platforms.  Even then, bashing the other platform won't be tolerated.

-Jeff