12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 1:23 AM by Katia M*

Formatting book

andreahelenexcell Level 1

I am new to this and can anyone help? I am writting a book and want to do so in Indesign 5.5 Qustion..How do I set it up and does the programme word count? I ned the text to flow but not sure how to do this.

• 1. Re: Formatting book
          MW Design Level 4

I'll give you my opinion. Write it in Word if you have it, or LibreOffice if you don't. I don't think LibreOffice has an outline mode (could be wrong) and so my preference would be a word processor that does.

Even if you start out with a solid, on-paper outline, you will be deleting, moving and rearranging items or whole sections around. Outline mode ina  word processor will make that portion far easier. You'll be able to concentrate on the writing more than how it looks.

Take care, Mike

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Formatting book
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'll second that. Word processors are for creative writing and layout programs like InDesign are for making the page look good after your writing is done. It's not impossible to write directly in ID, but it adds an additional burden. During the writing process you should not be concerned with the layout or format of the book (text styling is OK, but don't worry about how it fits on the page).

• 3. Re: Formatting book
              Katia M* Level 1

Hello Peter,

you seems to know this program very well.

I am french and live in Germany (just for the case you speak one of this language)

I 've been published, childrenbooks. So the text and the pictures exist already.

I would like to make an Ibook, with fews interactiv tools integrated.  I don't have any Idea how Indesign does fonction...It is clear that I have to get a formation.

But could you tell me where I can learn the rudiments of this Program (perhaps a video or something like a simulator ). I don't mean the videos where they show you what is new or all the thing this super program can do... I mean one which is bringing you step for step in creating a document which you can export as an epub format...

I write story and this is totally new for me

Hope you can help. Thank you very much

• 4. Re: Formatting book
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The book recommended here most often for beginners is Sandee Cohen's Visual Quickstart Guide to InDesign. There are some websites with free video turorials, including Adobe.com's own Adobe TV (I'm sure ther will be plenty of sugestions coming) and the most recoomended online training is from Lynda.com, which is not free, btu with any luck Bob will post a link to get you a one-week free trial. My own focus is actually for print and I've yet to do an epub myself.

• 5. Re: Formatting book
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

InDesign CS5.5 works great if you use it to create a print version and want to re-purpose this to an ePub. Note that this is something else than the recently announced iBook (which is not compatible with InDesign, ePubs, or anything else -- it's an Apple-only show).

If you learn and then use InDesign just to create an ePub with, you are downgrading an expensive and expansive program to a mere plain text editor, and there are cheaper and (probably) easier tools to create any old epub with.

• 6. Re: Formatting book
                    CMachad Level 1

This will be a very simple introduction to InDesign, but I would look on youtube.com to watch some video tutorials.

Go to File > New document and set up the paper size, number of pages, and everything you need. Make sure "Facing pages" is checked on.

To make text flow, use the Type Tool (either type the letter "t" on your keyboard, or click the button with a capital T on it.) Use this to draw a textbox. Paste your words into that. If you see a little red box with a + that means there is more text, but the box is not big enough to see it. Click on the black arrow button so you have the normal cursor again. Click on that red box, and then draw your cursor somewhere to make another textbox. You will see that your words now flow into the new textbox. Make sure that View > Show Text threads is on. Threads are blue lines that show you which textboxes flow into one another.

Screen shot 2012-01-23 at 10.34.36 AM.png

To do a word count, highlight the text that you want to count. Then go to Window > Info.

• 7. Re: Formatting book

Thank you so much for your help I can now see how to do this.

I find this forum very helpful this is the first time here

Andrea

• 8. Re: Formatting book

Thank you very much for your help

andrea

• 9. Re: Formatting book

Thank you for your help I much appreciate it

Andrea

• 10. Re: Formatting book

Thank you for your reply I am learning slowly thanks to of you that take time to reply

Andrea

• 11. Re: Formatting book
                              Katia M* Level 1

Thank a lot for your answer. Of course if my purpose would only be to create an epub format, you would be right but I like to integrate interactive tools in it.

If there is a better solution than this program, I would be of course very gratefull to know it, as you told, Apple ibooks Author offers a confortable solution but they have restriction concerning the publication, this part is not very clear...

• 12. Re: Formatting book
                                Katia M* Level 1

Hello Peter, thanks a lot for your constructive answer. I will take contact with Lynda.com and will tell you how it is going...

I wish you a very successfull "Print".