7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 9:30 AM by D Fosse

Sony RAW files

Ric077 Level 1

Just got a new Sony NEX 20 camcorder which records still photos as Raw files in the .awr format. Can't seem to open in Photoshop CS5, even with Camera Raw 6.5 plug-in installed.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Sony RAW files
          Noel Carboni Level 8

The way it works is this:

Adobe makes regular Camera Raw releases every several months while a version of Photoshop is currently shipping.  So, for example, with Photoshop CS5, Camera Raw 6.x releases are being made, each of which supports new cameras.  Usually they release a beta copy a bit early so people who are really chomping at the bit for new camera support can get it, of course at the risk of using possibly unstable beta software.

The current released update, as of this writing, of Camera Raw for Photoshop CS5 is actually 6.6, so you're a bit out of date.

You can see all the updates on these pages (e.g., in the Version CS5 section): 

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Mac

To see if the latest update supports your camera, follow the latest (e.g., Camera Raw 6.6) update link, then follow the link to the ReadMe file.

Doing the above, I do NOT see support for an NEX 20 camera, so it seems you may have to wait for the next Camera Raw update.  I don't believe there's a 6.7 beta out yet.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Sony RAW files
            Ric077 Level 1

Thanks, I guess I just find it hard to believe that Sony will come up with a new sub type of file for every camera, and then go to the trouble to make it not compatible with the most popular photo editing software on the planet. Doesn't sound like a very well though out business plan.

• 3. Re: Sony RAW files
              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Ric, it is for this very problem that Adobe has come up with the DNG format: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sony RAW files
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

... and DNG is currently the only thing with potential for becoming a standard in this field. The format is openly documented, and there's a freely available SDK.

Any blame is on the camera makers, not Adobe.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Sony RAW files
                  Ric077 Level 1

I hear you all. I am a professional photographer for 32 years, now 80% of my business is video for the internet 'cause that's where the money is. Any company that thinks they are too big to give the marketplace what it wants need only look at Kodak. While Adobe has made some mistakes in the past, this is an absurd move by Sony to create a Tower of Babel of file types to no good end. I wish them luck (not).

• 6. Re: Sony RAW files
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

They all do it, not just Sony.  Every new Canon camera, for example, has a unique raw format, even though the files are all *.cr2.

It's always been a bit of a mystery to me why the camera makers try to keep things so proprietary, but perhaps it's a strategy designed to try to lock people into a single vendor kit.  For example, maybe they feel that if you solve your problems and are able to use all your Sony gear, you'll have to solve them all again to use Canon or Nikon gear, and that will be such a pain that you'll just keep preferentially using Sony gear.  It's possible there are a significant number of people who just use the Sony-supplied software.

Another possibility is that the chip designs in the cameras are all evolutionary from their predecessors, and swapping out the entire raw file creation block to put in a DNG creation block would be more expensive in the short term.

Or maybe they all do it just because all the others are doing it, and no one wants to be first to embrace an open standard.

In some ways it almost defies logic.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Sony RAW files
                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Leica is the only one that I know of. They use DNG as their native raw file format and avoid all these problems. They have ACR support with their new cameras from day one, in any version of Photoshop back to CS2.

Given the status of Leica one should think the others would follow, but no...