2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Display Driver

sydneysider4

I have recently installed Premier Elements 10 it worked fine on day 1 and then without any updates on day 2 its stopped working and I am getting the following error message

"we have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver. Display driver details : Intel - Intel (R) HD Graphics 2.1.0-Build 8.15.10.2202"

I have a relatively new laptop with windows 7.

• 1. Re: Display Driver
          nealeh Level 5

Could be many things, but a new PC / Laptop usually has problems because it's drivers are out of date. I suggest you first download and install the 8.15.10.2509 driver from the Intel website. Go to the link below and choose your particular version of Windows 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22hd+graphics%22

While your at it also update your sound card drivers and get the latest version of QuickTime. Sort all that first and then post back whether or not it worked. If it didn't we can move on from there. You could also work though Got a Problem? How to Get Started and PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Display Driver
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Intel makes great chips, but unfortunately, they do not offer much video driver support. That is why I do not recommend them, if one is doing heavy Photoshop work, or editing video.

Video drivers are fragile things, and even simple OS updates and hot-fixes, and render them obsolete. Programs like PrE, PrPro, After Effects and Photoshop (now), rely very heavily on interfacing with the video drivers. This is why the major companies, like nVidia and ATI/AMD issue new drivers at least once per month.

With a desktop, the "cure" is to by-pass the Intel chip, and add an nVidia, or ATI/AMD card. With a laptop, one does not have that option. The user is stuck with the graphics chip installed on the MoBo, and are at the mercy of Intel, to get updated drivers.

With the popularity of the integrated graphics chips, we are seeing dozens of similar problems. Unless Intel begins issuing updated drivers, the scene is bleak, indeed.

Even with nVidia, or ATI/AMD chips, some laptop mfgrs. tweak the drivers, and re-warp them, so that they are proprietary, and the only updates must come from the computer mfgr, like Dell, HP or Toshiba. The first two, are really pretty good at getting those re-warpped drivers to their customers, while the last one, has not been so good.

I would never use a laptop, without an nVidia, or ATI/AMD chipset for video editing, just because of the driver support.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for general computing, the video driver is far, far less important, and for that (no heavy PS work, or video editing), the Intel chips are just fine.