3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2008 8:16 AM by Jeesmon

Making window dockable

Ankur Arora Level 1
      Hi all,
      I'm working on flex desktop application. There is a requirement to show it as docked window at the top of the screen. It should like some news ticker which comes on top of the screen like start menu bar comes down at the screen in microsoft windows.

Do any one has an idea to how to implement this?

Thanks
      Ankur Arora
        • 1. Re: Making window dockable
          Level 1
          You can create an AIR app that stays on top of all other windows always. You might be able to adjust the window bounds to position it wherever you want. Will that solve your problem?

=========
          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
          <mx:Application xmlns:mx=" http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" creationComplete="init()">
          <mx:Script>
          <![CDATA[
          private function init():void {
          var win:NativeWindow = this.systemManager.stage.nativeWindow;
          win.height = 50;
          win.width = 300;
          var upperLeft:Point = new Point( (flash.system.Capabilities.screenResolutionX - win.width), (flash.system.Capabilities.screenResolutionY - win.height - 25));
          win.bounds = new Rectangle(upperLeft.x, upperLeft.y, win.width, win.height);
          win.alwaysInFront = true;
          win.activate();
          }
          ]]>
          </mx:Script>
          <mx:Label htmlText="This window stays on top always !!!!" width="100%" />
          </mx:Application>
          =============
          • 2. Re: Making window dockable
            Ankur Arora Level 1
            Hi Jeemson,
            This would place my applicaion on any of the cordinates that I will choose. But if you see any ticker they placed on top of the screen like window's start menu is placed at bottom of the screen, and all other application will never use that particular area as display area. In other words display area of windows will be reduced.

Please let me know if I'm not clear on this. May be I can show your some screenshots.

Thanks
            Ankur
            • 3. Re: Making window dockable
              Level 1
              Hi Ankur,

I'm not aware of any option to reserve the space in windows Task Bar from AIR app.

Another hack you can do is to create a windowed app with systemChome=none, transparency=true, width=0, height=0 so that you will get just the task bar portion of the app and change the window title at runtime to get the feeling of a ticker. It won't work very well if you open too many windows as the width changes depending on the number of programs you are running. Also it might be hidden if the app is not started as the first one with too many programs open.

Sorry, I cannot think of any other solutions.

-Jeesmon