6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Can I crop a clip?

ForumCruiser Level 1

Hi,

Here is another newbie question. I tried to search for an answer but couldn't find one.

I am recording clips for an eLearning series in a small "studio" at work. It is about eight feet wide so given I use a modern 16:9 camera (Canon XA10) I can only do closeups (head and upper torso) of the person I record. If I zoom out I will get the side walls and also the stands for the lighting in the picture. I am just beginning to learn the trade but have been able to overexpose the background so that it is completely white.

I would like to get some more varied shots with a person standing up so I am looking for a way to cut out the left and right edges of the clip. Another solution would be to fill the edges with the white background color.

Is there a solution for this in Premiere Elements? I hope you understand my question.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Can I crop a clip?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two ways to accomplish what you are looking for:

The Crop Effect and the Garbage Matte. Either will accomplish eliminating objects beyond your background.

Both are applied from the Effects Tab, and each allows you to adjust the Effect to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I crop a clip?
            ForumCruiser Level 1

Thanks for a quick reply!

Is it possible to change the language of the program to English? Took me a while to find the corresponding effects in my Swedish version...

So I now understand how to crop the clip. The crop effect does what I need. However, the area that is deleted is now black. Can I make it into another color, preferably the same as I have in the background of my clip?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Can I crop a clip?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the language, I cannot help you. I think that is determined, upon installation, but do not know if there is a way to change it, once installed, or if one needs to uninstall, then reinstall with another language. Also, there have been a few issues with others installing Adobe programs in one language, where the OS, and keyboard were set to another. Do not recall any problems with PrE specifically, but with some other Adobe programs.

To eliminate the black, place the Clip, that you Crop, on Video Track 2 (or higher), and create a Color Matte (from the New Icon in the Project Panel) on Video Track 1, below. You can make that any color you want.

Besides the Color Matte, you can also create any number of abstract backgrounds, to be seen around the areas of the Crop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can I crop a clip?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a little TUTORIAL that I created, on using an "abstract background" where one sees around an image, say one that has been Cropped, or perhaps a portrait oriented Still Image.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can I crop a clip?
                  ForumCruiser Level 1

Excellent,

That was what I was looking for.

Thanks Hunt!

• 6. Re: Can I crop a clip?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt