1 Reply Latest reply on May 23, 2008 1:59 PM by ntsiii

Find-as-you-type in a Tree control

Evan_K
      I'm a bit new to Flex (but not to Flash or ActionScript), and I'm building an app that displays a tree control to the user. This tree corresponds to a rather immense directory structure, and I'd like to allow users that are looking for a specific path to just click the tree, type in the path (ie: 'home/evan/htdocs/scripts') and have it expand the tree to, and select, the appropriate tree node.

My issue is, I have no clue how to even begin doing this. I know I could probably trap keyboard events, but i have no idea how to efficiently search through a tree instance. Has anyone ever done this before?
        • 1. Re: Find-as-you-type in a Tree control
          ntsiii Level 3
          It is pretty easy to find a node based on some unique id in the item and expand the parent path above it. I have a simple example of that on www.cflex.net.

But it sounds like you want to navigate by path. Depending that could be a bit of a challenge, but I don't think unreasonable. Some functional decisions to make, such as do you automatically fill in the filter box if a child node uniquely matches the currently entered letters.

Though in truth, one of the benefits of a tree is graphical navigation. Id rather navigate normally through the tree with three clicks and maybe a scroll or two than type in 'home/evan/htdocs/scripts'

Tracy