7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 11:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio

Thomas Beach

I know it's something simple.  But I can't seem to find the solution.

I am editing .avi video clips (talking heads) with audio which was recorded on the camera audio tracks. The video clips all play just fine with the accompanying audio in the Source Monitor as well as in the Project Panel player.  But when I Insert the editied clip onto the Timeline, the video appears, while the audio does not.  It's clear I have done something to my settings or the like, as this problem just appeared where previously it did not exist.  Can someone direct me to the source of my problem and the fix for it.  Thanks very much.

I have noticed that when selecting a clip in the Source Monitor and choosing the Display Mode with the pop-up menu that 'Audio Waveform' is now greyed out.

Tom

• 1. Re: Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thomas,

Just to eliminate some common issues, I have two questions:

What are the full specs. of those Clips, including the Audio Streams and especially their number and CODEC?

When you Imported your Clips into PrPro, did you wait until Conforming, and PEK file (Waveform Display) completed 100%? This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Conforming.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - When using Bridge, the Source Monitor, or a player, the actual file, on the HDD, is being played. From the Timeline, the Audio comes from the CFA (Conformed Audio) files.

• 2. Re: Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio
            Thomas Beach Level 1

Thanks for your response, Bill.  Please keep in mind you are working with a CSS5.0 neophite.

The following is a copy of the Properties of the original raw tape(s) imported into the PP project panel and as obtained from with the Project Panel. 

File Path: D:\ use DV\001 for DV.avi

Type: AVI Movie

File Size: 12.3 GB

Image Size: 720 x 480

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 29.97 (24p)

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:58:09:12

Average Data Rate: 3.6 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

I don't know where to look for the specific items you've requested except to say that the Properties > Details panel of the raw tape files located on my data disk reveals the same info with the addition of listing Audio: Bit Rate: 1536kbps, Channels 2 (stereo) and Audio sample rate 48kHz.  Please tell me where missing info you need is and I'll retrieve it.

As for the conforming, yes, I recall all of the .avi clips (recorded with embeded camera audio) going through PEK conforming and the yellow progress bar upon the original importing of those raw tape files into the Project Panel.

Tom

• 3. Re: Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

It appears that those Clips are rather plain-vanilla DV AVI's, and the Audio Stream does look problematic.

Were those produced via Capture over FireWire into PrPro, or did the Capture from miniDV tape happen in another program?

With other "known good" Audio files, say just a system WAV sound, to you get Audio, when played from the Timeline? Might be worth a simiple test on that, to rule out an Audio/Audio Hardware setting.

Conforming and PEK (Waveform Display) generation from those files should be very quick, and easy on the system.

Good luck, and thank you for that information.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio
                Jim_Simon Level 8

As a test, create a new project and import one of the problem clips into it.

Is all well?

• 5. Re: Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio
                  Thomas Beach Level 1

Bill,

Did you mean to say "does not look problematic." or, as you wrote, "does look problematic."? 

To answer your question, the latter; miniDV tape capture originally took place using another PC and was stored on an external HD.  I downloaded the original miniDV tape files from that HD the other user had captured to.  I will say this. The original notes regarding the tape logs made by the person who digitized footage indicates that the original HDV digitized footage (.mpeg) was simply "digitized."  While the .avi footage was converted using Cineform; his logs also show the audio conformed using cineform as well.  Is it possible this is the source of the wonkiness I am experiencing with audio and perhaps the source of all of my trouble?

To that end, if I were willing to start the project over entirely, could I simply delete the .avi files from my PC, begin a new project and import the HDV (mpeg) footage into PP project panel editing in that format?  Considering the .avi DV files have a window burned Time Code which would eventually require me to conform the original HDV footage (mpeg) to the .avi (rough/fine) edit, would I be better off working with the original HDV footage to start with?

Oh.  And to answer your last question: Yes, I have had no troubles whatsoever with scratch V.O. audio files I have recorded myself.  I have recorded them at 24-bit 48K sample rate .WAV (poly) files and simply performed a drag and drop to my desktop before copying them over to my data disk where all the other files for my project reside.  Each and every V.O. file I create shows up as a Waveforem on the Timeline.

I greatly appreciate your guidance.

Tom

• 6. Re: Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio
                    Thomas Beach Level 1

Thank you, Jim.  Will do and get back to you with results.

Tom

• 7. Re: Video Clips That Do Not Play Audio
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, somehow, between my feeble brain, and my fingers, the "NOT" got lost. Thanks for pointing that out to me - my bad.

Thanks,

Hunt