2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 10:48 PM by pwillener

Memory continually growing in JS AIR app

zeeejy

Hi -

We're currently developing an HTML/Javascript AIR application, and I've been trying to pay pretty close attention to memory. One of the things I'm noticing is that memory never seems to come back down, even after objects have been nullified and events have been unbound. ...And I can't quite figure out why that is.

As far as I understand, any objects that are no longer referenced should be picked up by garbage collector, but I don't see that happening.

So for now my question is pretty simple: how do you go about profiling your memory usage on Adobe AIR? I've seen some tools that were available with Aptana, but that was back for AIR 2.0. Are there more up-to-date processes for this? Does anyone have any recommendations for how to deal with memory growth in AIR?

Thanks,

Zach

• 1. Re: Memory continually growing in JS AIR app
          zeeejy Level 1

Quick follow up here.

I went ahead and modified my source to run within Google Chrome so I could take advantage of Chrome's dev tools, which include some pretty solid memory profiling tools. What I discovered is that Chrome is garbage collecting as expected, and my memory footprint is remaining relatively consistent. But unfortunately that does not look like the case for AIR. I'll continue to post on here as I discover things, so perhaps others can benefit from what I might find.

• 2. Re: Memory continually growing in JS AIR app
            pwillener Level 8

I have written a few apps with HTML/JS/AIR, and I have not seen this happening.  (But then my apps were very simple.)

What AIR version are you using?

Can you try if that still happens with the AIR 3.2 beta?