5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 4:04 PM by the_wine_snob

uninstall pe7 after installing pe9?

psppremiere Level 1

pe 7 is still in my system after installing pe9 (in Sept about 3 weeks before they announced pe10).  Is it safe to uninstall pe7? or does pe9 use it in some way?

• 1. Re: uninstall pe7 after installing pe9?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Nope. They're completely independent programs.

• 2. Re: uninstall pe7 after installing pe9?
            psppremiere Level 1

seriously? so some of my "older" videos on my computer would not work/play if I uninstall pe7?  guess I'll have to do something about that.  In pe 10 that much better than 9?

• 3. Re: uninstall pe7 after installing pe9?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, the versions of the program are not linked, and can be uninstalled, independently from the latest version.

Now, if you have some PrE 7 Projects, it is best, and often recommended, to finish them in the version, in which they were started. Under ideal circumstances, one can often migrate up in program versions, i.e. a PrE 7 should Open in PrE 9, or 10, but there can be issues. Finishing in the original version is always best.

Also, you might want to compare the Functional Content between your versions, such as DVD Menus, and Title Templates, as Adobe will sometimes remove a few of those Assets in later versions. They usually add some too, so the total number might be about the same, but there could be a few differences, and I would want to make sure that if some were removed in the later version, I had Copied them over to the newer version, especially if they are ones that I use often.

Not sure if some of the other Funcitonal Content, like Themes/Instant Movies, is compatible with later versions, but Steve will very likely know.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: uninstall pe7 after installing pe9?
                psppremiere Level 1

thank you, I will finish them or save the video and move them into a PrE9 work area.  I will have to figure out how to copy the title templates and dvd menus that i want to continue using, tips would be appreciated.  Like you there are a couple of favorites. thank you

• 5. Re: uninstall pe7 after installing pe9?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would open two instances of Windows Explorer, and point one to the folder for PrE 7, and the other to the same folder for PrE 9. Compare, by file name, and see if both have the same exact files. If not, then you might want to Open the Menus (Photoshop PSD files), and look at them. Unfortunately, the Title Template files, PTRL, can ONLY be Opened in PrE, so it might take a bit more work to compare them visually.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as I use Adobe Encore for DVD/BD authoring, I Copied over a half-dozen Menus from EncoreDVD 2.0 to Encore CS5.0, as they were missing. I also Copied over my personally created Menus too.