4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 5:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Trouble syncing video and audio clips

uncle_marty Level 1

Hey Folks,

I'm having a nightmare trying to sync separate video and audio clips in APE 9.0.1. Here's what's happening:

1. I import a video clip (720p30 .mov shot on a Nikon D7000) -> Video/Audio 1

2. I import an audio clip (.AIFF recorded on my iPhone with the iTalk app, 44.1 Hz, 32-bit) -> Audio 2

3. I line up the two clips, using a "clap" marker (where I clapped my hands)

4. I mute the video clip audio (Audio 1)

So far so good -- plays fine. Audio 2 verified looking at the mixer.

5. I trim the audio and video clips by Ctrl-dragging the left-hand sides to a common point.

6. Blam. No audio.

7. I step back in history to before I trimed the clips: No audio.

8. I unmute Audio 1: audio from Audio 1 plays, but still nothing from Audio 2.

9. I delete Audio 2, and re-insert it into the Sceneline: Audio 2 plays fine.

10. Trim the clips: go back to #6 - no audio.

I can go to other parts of the video, and the audio plays fine, both the audio embedded in the video clip and a third audio file in the Soundtrack track (44.1 HZ .mp3).

Restarting Elements doesn't help.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's going on and how to fix it. I saw this done in a tutorial with Premiere Pro and it was trivial. What's going on? Any thoughts?

For the record, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, 2.67 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad, 8 GB RAM; all video and audio on a separate hard drive from the boot drive.

Thanks.

P.S. I've used audio from iTalk in other projects with no trouble, I've just never tried syncing clips like this.

• 1. Re: Trouble syncing video and audio clips
          nealeh Level 5

uncle_marty wrote:

I can go to other parts of the video, and the audio plays fine, both the audio embedded in the video clip and a third audio file in the Soundtrack track (44.1 HZ .mp3).

I'd be inclined to:

• convert that MP3 to a .wav 48Khz 16-bit (the free Audacity can do that). This puts the sound to the ideal format for PRE.
          • and use the converted track on a higher Audio Track. The Soundtrack and Narration tracks can, for no known reason, mess up Audio across the whole timeline.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Trouble syncing video and audio clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Neale, and by choosing the 48KHz 16-bit, one then rules out the Sample-Rate difference of 44.1KHz, though PrE should be able to Conform from that common (CD Audio) Sample-Rate.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Trouble syncing video and audio clips
              uncle_marty Level 1

Awesome -- thanks, guys.

I removed everything from the Timeline to start over. Converted the iTalk AIFF clip and the .mp3 soundtrack to 48kHz WAV files with Audacity, put them back in new audio tracks, synced up just as before -- including trimming -- and everything seems to be working. Hooray! Now we'll see if it can handle that with multiple synced clips. . . .

In a way it doesn't make sense since it's worked fine with mixed 44.1 and 48kHz files before, but maybe it had something to do with that Soundtrack track.

Thanks again.

Martin

• 4. Re: Trouble syncing video and audio clips
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Martin,

Usually, PrE can Conform 44.1KHz 16-bit just fine. That is the CD-Audio spec., but if you are converting, then just setting that to 48KHz 16-bit gets one even closer to the ultimate.

Good luck,

Hunt