10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 11:04 AM by Steve Grisetti

Best Options for 16:9 Output

msjanew1955

Hi,

I need to output my digital footage using premiere into the highest possible quality video playback file (avi, mp2, mp4, or wmv) so it plays on 16:9 format monitor. I can up the file size if that helps, using advanced options.Please advise which approach will work best. When I try arranging output settings, some of the motion footage gets digitized/pixelated. I'd like to aoid if possible and keep footage as good as I can.  I got spoiled looking at the video (which is only 30 seconds) in flash format!  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, some questions:

Are you talking about SD 16:9, or HD 16:9?

Exactly how do you need to deliver the files - this is very, very important?

In the meantime, see this Adobe FAQ from PrPro CS 5.5. The vast majority of those comments will apply to PrE too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output
            msjanew1955 Level 1

Thanks, Bill.  Here is some additional information. Hope you advise as to best way to accomplish my goal.

SD 16:9

File will be delivered on 16:9 TV (TargetVision) monitors at 1480 by 826 and 1280 by 686.

I am able to process a large file size, in any of these formats:

wmv., asf, asx, avi, m2v, mov, mp2, mp4, mpeg, or vob

I need the highest quality in the widescreen format. The video is only 39 seconds, so we can go for higher quality without too much concern for bandwidth.

There is live action motion in he video that I would like to not have too pixelated.

Thanks for your advice.

• 3. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, what model of camcorder is your original footage coming from and what format is it?

And, when you set up your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select?

Needless to say, if you start with standard definition footage or a standard definition project, your 1280x720 footage is not going to be true hi-def. It will just be over-rezzed standard definition video, which will look blurry and fuzzy.

• 4. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output
                msjanew1955 Level 1

Thanks for responding.  The camera is

CANON VIXIA HF-21 HD 64GB FLASH CAMCORDER

The footage was shot in high def.

To be honest, I do not know the original sttings for the footage input--I just went with the default.

In terms of the output, it wide screen looks OK now,  but there a lot of moire/blurriness on the action shots (where people are exercising with ropes.) I need to clean up the ropes blurriness

and keep the overall quality. Thanks.

Exercise Screenshot.JPG

• 5. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output

Your camcorder shoots in a variety of formats. So, if you want to edit your video in Premiere Elements, make sure you're shooting FXP or MXP mode and make sure that your frame rate is set to 60i.

If you do this, you should get excellent results if you set up your Premiere Elements project as Full AVCHD 1920x1080. (Your cam can also shoot in either stereo or 5.1 audio, so make sure that, whichever audio format you shoot, you also match that in your project settings also.)

Matching project settings to your source footage is vital to a successful editing experience. So never use the default project settings (or at least check to ensure they match your original video's specs.)

• 6. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output
                    msjanew1955 Level 1

Steve, excellent advice.  Moving forward, that makes sense.  In terms of the photo above, any advice on how to minimize the rope moire issue?

• 7. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I could be wrong, but that looks like a Field Reversal issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output

If it is, then it will be virtually eliminated by matching the project settings to the video specs, as I discussed above!

• 9. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output
                          msjanew1955 Level 1

basic settings.JPG

Thanks...I appreciate the advice for the future---for now, I want to salvage the footage I have.  Since it was shot in HD, seems like it should be possible to output in 16:9 format without the moire effect.  Just need to know which seetings will get rid of vibrating ropes.  Do these look right?

• 10. Re: Best Options for 16:9 Output

Sorry, Ms Jane, but it doesn't matter what you output it as if the project settings don't match the video. The damage is already done.

Although you can try right-clicking on each clip on your timeline, selecting Field Options and then Deinterlace. This should somewhat hide the problem. It's lot less elegant than setting up a project to match the source video specs in the first place -- but it's the next best thing. Then you can output using the settings you've selected.

Although remember that the output settings you've selected are interlaced too. So, depending on which player you're using to play the video on your computer, you may still see some comb effects. This should not be the case, however, when you port this video out to the TVs. (Computer monitors use progressive scan -- which is non-interlaced. TVs use interlaced frames. So things look different on a TV than they do on a computer monitor.)

1 person found this helpful