3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 7:42 AM by try67

I need basic help on filling out an on line form.

vampiravet

I have used Adobe Acrobat to fill out forms on line, and it was always a no-brainer (set up that way by the author, I'm guessing).  So I never explored the details of how it works.  I am trying to fill out forms for an upcoming doctor appointment, but am unable to type on the lines.  I did a bit of reading and then tried to use the "typewriter tool", but could not figure it out.  I looked at the properties of the document, and the author marked "allowed" on the form being "fillable", so I thought that meant answers could be "filled in" on the lines.  In the past, I've noticed that documents I could type on had light shading on areas I could type.  This one doesn't. I'm not sure if I need to purchase Acrobat software or some other software to do this, or what I need to do.  Can anyone help? 

• 1. Re: I need basic help on filling out an on line form.
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's possible the author of the file didn't actually add any form fields to the file, so even though it's allowed to fill-in such forms, they don't actually exist.

Also, are you using Acrobat, or Reader? This forum is about Adobe Reader only.

• 2. Re: I need basic help on filling out an on line form.
            vampiravet Level 1

Well... thats actually my problem... I can't seem to wrap my brain around

readet and acrobat, and if you have to buy acrobat or what...  It, seems

like, its on my laptop already, but I don't know how to figure that out...

I found my way to a site where you can get a "free account" and, I

registered, but I'm just mystified by the whole thing.  I will ask a

computer geek today to help me learn what I have and how to use it.

Meanwhile, I answered everything on a separate word doc and saved it with

the forms onto a cd... at least it will be easy to give em the cd to get

the info into their compiter, and they or I can merge the answers onto the

forms they want fo a paper chart.  Thanks, for the info, anyway!. Have an

awesome day!  xxoo,    I'll b n touch so in case I have more trouble...  A

• 3. Re: I need basic help on filling out an on line form.
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If the file is set up correctly, all you need to be able to fill it in, save it and submit it back to the author is the free Reader.