5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 7:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting to .mpg with multiplexing ... keeps setting to "none"

Philippe V8

Folks,

I need a single file with audio & video into 1.  It needs to be an mpg.

At this moment, all I get from Premiere Elements (8) is an .m2v file and an .mpa

I read that I need to set multiplexing to something other than "none" for them to merge.

But here's the problem ... I set it to mpeg or dvd and save the preset and export the movie .. I still get 2 files.

If I go back to check the preset, the multiplexing has jumped back to "none".

What is wrong ?!  This is driving me nuts !!

• 1. Re: Exporting to .mpg with multiplexing ... keeps setting to "none"
          Philippe V8 Level 1

Just tried SVCD and get an export error now:

freely translated: "The total video- and audio-bit-speed excedes the maximum."

If I select for audio MPEG and set it to mono 128kbps it keeps the multiplexer at TS and exports a single file with .m2t extention ... but doesn't play any sound when I play the file :/

I'm trying all sorts of settings now and sometimes get a single .mpg file ... but I hear no audio in it :/ (combined stereo or something)

PS: I need a single .mpg file to put on an SD card which goos into a small LCD tv and hangs in a shop looping the film over & over ... and last time I had such an LCD here, the only file that would play on it was an MPG2 with muxed audio.  I remember merging the audio and video with a trail payware program back then ... but the trail period is long over and I just think it crazy paying 100+$ for a software if I already have PremElements .............

• 2. Re: Exporting to .mpg with multiplexing ... keeps setting to "none"
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It always helps if you tell us what steps you are taking to create your file so we can figure out where you may be going wrong.

Share/Computer/MPEG with the DVD project preset will produce the M2T file you need.

If you're not hearing the audio or seeing the video, it may be a problem with the media player you're using to play the file. But they're both there. Assuming your original project is set up right for your source video, of course.

• 3. Re: Exporting to .mpg with multiplexing ... keeps setting to "none"
              Philippe V8 Level 1

I've got it working now ... after more than 25 tries ... I set it to DVD for multiplexing, audio is set to mpeg and Joint Stereo and 96 kbps.

For the video I got my ideal frame size setup to 800x480, 25 fps.

And this is what was wrong in the end: I set max bitspeed to 9,51 ... I had it at 18500Kbps ... which is to high for a dvd obviously, but I didn't see trough this problem before.

Now it exports a .mpg file with working audio.

My original source is an .avi file with 1024x576, Divx 5 for video and MPEG Audio Layer 3 for audio.

I import this in a self made preset with 800x480pix.

• 4. Re: Exporting to .mpg with multiplexing ... keeps setting to "none"
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, Divix is one of the worst possible formats for source video. It usually doesn't work at all. So I'm glad you got it working.

But, yes, for outputting video, messing with the Advanced settings instead of using the presets can certainly cause problems also.

• 5. Re: Exporting to .mpg with multiplexing ... keeps setting to "none"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

DivX, and its open source cousin, Xvid, are delivery-only formats, and heavily compressed. They work well for streaming media distribution, but are ill-suited to edit.

As is Steve, I am surprised that PrE will even Import it correctly, as one usually only gets Audio, or if there is Video, it is very choppy, even when the proper CODEC's are installed.

Now, one can Export/Share to DivX, if the CODEC is installed, but few have ever been able to Export/Share directly with Xvid, though the two formats/CODEC's are virtually the same.

I always recommend that one convert any DivX, or Xvid material, prior to Import.

Glad that you got your video done, and onto disc,

Hunt