3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 2:05 PM by !@#%

Customizing Adobe Reader X from an AIP

DQ-88

I am trying to deploy Adobe Reader X using group policy. So far I have created an administrative installation point as follows:

1) Downloaded AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi and AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp from the FTP site.

2) Run "msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi" and extracted the contents to a folder called "10.1.0".

3) Copied the contents of that folder to a new folder called "10.1.2" and copied AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp into this folder as well.

4) Navigated to the 10.1.2 folder and ran "msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp" and chose the 10.1.2 folder as the target location.

I *think* the above is correct, though please correct me if I'm doing anything wrong.

After creating the AIP I downloaded, installed and ran the Adobe Customization Wizard X. I opened the AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi file in the 10.1.2 folder and ran through the customization. However when I save the package or generate a transform I get an error saying Setup.ini was not found in the 10.1.2 folder.

Where have I gone wrong?

• 1. Re: Customizing Adobe Reader X from an AIP
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

All your steps are absolutely correct. No isues there.!!

However, while "saving the package" you are receiving the error, since the Customization Wizard tries to modify the contents of "Setup.ini", assuming that you would be using a Setup.exe to install the program. Setup.exe is usually bundled with the Chained Installers as such.

Anyhow, you dont have to worry about obtaining the same. You can chose to click on Transform > Generate a transform. Provide the tranaform name and the location, and chose to quit the Customization Wizard post this. Chose not to save the package. Now you will have a MST file which can be used as below to install Adobe Reader:

msiexec /i <path to AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi> TRANSFORMS=<path to mst>

eg. msiexec C:\10.1.2\AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi TRANSFORMS=C:\10.1.2\Reader.mst

Hope this helps and solves your query.

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Customizing Adobe Reader X from an AIP
            DQ-88 Level 1

Great, that seems to work thanks.

• 3. Re: Customizing Adobe Reader X from an AIP
              !@#%

doesn't work for me. CustWizX still wants the setup.ini file even when trying to generate the MST file (after choosing lcoation and name and clikcing Save). I tried doing as suggested, but anyways the MST file never gets created.

EDIT:

I fixed the problem by copying setup.exe and setup.ini from 10.1.0 package (coming from EXE package we used in past) and I was able to use the Cust wizard X on this patched to 10.1.2 MSI.

testing now, finally!

works!

Ankit_Jain wrote:

Hi,

All your steps are absolutely correct. No isues there.!!

However, while "saving the package" you are receiving the error, since the Customization Wizard tries to modify the contents of "Setup.ini", assuming that you would be using a Setup.exe to install the program. Setup.exe is usually bundled with the Chained Installers as such.

Anyhow, you dont have to worry about obtaining the same. You can chose to click on Transform > Generate a transform. Provide the tranaform name and the location, and chose to quit the Customization Wizard post this. Chose not to save the package. Now you will have a MST file which can be used as below to install Adobe Reader:

msiexec /i <path to AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi> TRANSFORMS=<path to mst>

eg. msiexec C:\10.1.2\AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi TRANSFORMS=C:\10.1.2\Reader.mst

Hope this helps and solves your query.

Thanks

Ankit