5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 5:00 AM by Asher31

about paragraph style?

govind_85

Hello ,

i want to check wheather particular style is present in the document.if present then i want to apply another style.

is any method in the indesign script which will find and replce particular style in the document?

• 1. Re: about paragraph style?
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

You can do this in the find-change dialog box (no script needed). Set a paragraph style you want to find and the one you want to replace it with. Put nothing into the find what and change to fields.

• 2. Re: about paragraph style?
            govind_85 Level 1

Hello sir,

i want to change style by scripting.

• 3. Re: about paragraph style?
              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Here's a simple example:

var doc = app.activeDocument;
              app.findTextPreferences = app.changeTextPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;
              app.findTextPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = doc.paragraphStyles.item("Header");
              app.changeTextPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = doc.paragraphStyles.item("Subheader");
              doc.changeText();
              app.findTextPreferences = app.changeTextPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;

It changes paragraph style Header with Subheader

If you want to reference a paragraph style in a group, you can do this like so:

app.findTextPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = doc.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Headers").paragraphStyles.item("Header");

• 4. Re: about paragraph style?
                richardh6

And if you're operating in an environment where you know that you don't have any paragraph styles with the same names stored in different groups, and you want to reference a paragraph style that is somewhere in the document, without knowing what group it's in, you can use this recursive function to find it:

var findParagraphStyle = function( obj, name ) {
                    var style = obj.paragraphStyles.itemByName( name );
                    if (!style.isValid) {
                        for (var i = 0; i < paragraphStyleGroups.length; i += 1) {
                            style = findParagraphStyle( obj.paragraphStyleGroups[i], name );
                        }
                    }
                    return style; //     If we haven't found a style with name "name", 
                                        //     findParagraphStyle will return an invalid object.
                };

app.findTextPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = findParagraphStyle( doc, "Header" );

• 5. Re: about paragraph style?
                  Asher31

Hey there, i used that first script you added to do what it was meant to and it worked a treat, so thank you, but i wanted to ask what i would have to do to add extra styles to change in the same script? If thats not possible is there a script i could use to run multiple scripts at the same time?

Cheers in advance