7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 11:43 AM by Laubender

Unembed Preflight Profile

_S_KEMP_

Hi,

Does any one know if it is possible to unembed a Preflight Profile from an InDesign document? And if so, how?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Unembed Preflight Profile
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try exporting to .idml and see if that does it. Is there a particular reason you need to unembed? You don't have to actually use the profile that's emedded, as far as I know, nor does Live Preflight need to be on.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unembed Preflight Profile
            _S_KEMP_ Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I found the section for the embedded preflight in the INX file exported form the document. (For some reason, I cannot read IDML in Notepad? - what is the best way to edit these?). This then opened in InDesign with the embedded preflight removed.

I have a lot (250,000) InDesign templates, each containing an embedded preflight which now needs changing. I was thinking of a scripted solution to unembedding the preflight from each document.

However, I can change the users' settings to use a Working Profile rather than the embedded one. I just want to be thorough and update the templates.

Thanks.

Simon Kemp.

• 3. Re: Unembed Preflight Profile
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the files are old enough to export to .inx, so much the better. .idml is really a zip archive that can be unzipped, tinkered with, and rezipped if you cahnge the extension.

• 4. Re: Unembed Preflight Profile
                claidheamdanns Level 1

Peter, I came across this and am going to give it a try.

My reason for unembedding is that I am receiving a message about the embedded profile conflicting with the working profile, right before the document crashes all the time. I also happen to know that the embedded profile is not needed in this case, because I am the one that accidentally clicked on the embed button.

• 5. Re: Unembed Preflight Profile
                  Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

It sure is. Simply choose Define Profiles from the panel menu of the Preflight panel, select the profile that you want to unembed (it should be listed in italics), then choose unembed profile from the panel menu at the bottom of the dialog box.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 10.44.49 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Unembed Preflight Profile
                    ELandELCreative Level 1

Thanks, it's not the most intuitive place to put it, but the image of where to find it, helped tremendously.

• 7. Re: Unembed Preflight Profile
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ELandELCreative wrote:

Thanks, it's not the most intuitive place to put it

Just out of curiosity: Where would have you put it?

Regards,
                      Uwe