13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 2:38 AM by medeamajic

ripple tool is buggy

TKane31

Kind of a newbie here coming from avid and final cut so maybe I'm missing something here. Is anyone else experiencing the ripple tool behaving in odd ways. It always seems to work when I need to ripple forward but whenever I need to ripple back many times it just does a normal trim creating a gap. Sometimes I'm able to get it to work correctly by switching to a roll tool, rolling the edit, hitting control z then grabbing the ripple tool again. Plenty of handles and in the example I show that by doing a roll on the cut point yet it just won't ripple backwards.  Please see linked vid.

Thanks,

Tim

http://vimeo.com/35574288

• 1. Re: ripple tool is buggy
          cvid01 Level 4

I'm not so sure it's buggy. It may be designed that way. I believe it does that because of the audio tracks. Move the second audio track to the right and try the ripple to the left again. It might work. It does work if audio and video are linked. It may be a bug, but perhaps it is designed that way because of the presence and location of the audio tracks. Also try it without audio tracks and see if it works properly.

• 2. Re: ripple tool is buggy
            TKane31 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, your right I copied the clips to a new sequence without audio and it worked. Whether or not its a bug may be open to discussion but the clip I was trying to ripple wasn't linked to any audio whatsoever and the edit I was trying to perform would have no effect on any clips that do have linked audio so there shouldn't have been any conflict. After playing around some more I discovered I can't ripple any of my b-roll clips (which live on another video track) backwards only forward. If this isn't a buy it certainly should be modified to work regardless if a clip is linked to any audio or what is happening on other video tracks.

Thanks for your insight at least now I know what to look for.

• 3. Re: ripple tool is buggy
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It's not a bug.  The presence of clips on V2 prevent the ripple.

• 4. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                TKane31 Level 1

Thanks for your response Jim,

Can you please explain why the presence of clips on V2 is a problem? How come I can ripple forward but not back?  Having years of experience in other NLE's (final cut, avid and smoke) I just can't see any logical reason why it behaves the way it does. I should be able to select any clip anywhere in the timeline and push and pull as far as my handles will allow regardless of how other tracks are laid out. I am only selecting the one clip to modify. The whole point of using these tools is to edit gesturally within the timeline and to have them work only under certain arbitrary conditions is a bit frustrating.

• 5. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't "ripple" back because there's no room.  The clips on V2 are already butted up against other clips.

You can extend the shot forward because there's nothing after to stop it.

• 6. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                    TKane31 Level 1

The clips on V2 are already butted up against other clips.

but I'm not selecting or moving anything on v2 nor do I want to. When I trim the tails of a clip on V1 back thus "rippling" the rest of the track V2 should just sit there and do nothing because the tool is being used on a single cut point on a completely different track.

• 7. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

but I'm not selecting or moving anything on v2 nor do I want to.

Doesn't matter.  Rippling affect all tracks.

• 8. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                        TKane31 Level 1

OK thanks Joe. I do feel that makes the tool very limited and is vastly different from other NLE's. I guess they all have their little things. I hope next version some of these things get a refresh. For the record I was able to use it to ripple and edit music tracks independently without any problem at all.

• 9. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I wonder if it would work the way you'd prefer if you locked V2?

• 10. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                            TKane31 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion but I already tried that as well and it didn't work.

• 11. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A screendump of the timeline would help.

• 12. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                                TKane31 Level 1

i put a link up on the very first thread. here it is again

http://vimeo.com/35574288

• 13. Re: ripple tool is buggy
                                  medeamajic Level 2

I watched your video and like many others I did not see a problem. Your audio and video are not linked that is why it will only ripple edit in one direction. It will ripple edit the video only. It will not ripple edit the audio track. That is how it should work. You can manually link the video with the audio and that should give you the result you want. Just think if you had six 10 second video clips and one 60 second audio clip. How would Premiere know what clip to link to the audio? You have to do it yourself. Your system is working fine.