2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 6:17 AM by peter minneapolis

Hanging footnotes in InDesign

jessicagrant Level 1

I am working on a book design that is using sidenotes (not end or footnotes) and I have some questions:

- Is there a way to format the footnotes so that they run alongside the copy and follow there the corresponding footnote is in the copy? I'm guessing that's not doable but thought I'd ask!

- Can I format the footnotes to hang (see below) and have the numbers right justified?

Basically this image is the look I am going for but with the functionality of footnotes being linked up. I am not laying this out but would like the template to be as easy as possible for the person working on it. Thanks for your help!

Jessica

Screen shot 2012-01-24 at 11.28.34 AM.png

• 1. Re: Hanging footnotes in InDesign
          Grant H Level 4

Is there a way to format the footnotes so that they run alongside the copy and follow there the corresponding footnote is in the copy?

no! thats why they called footnotes .

I would create a separate text frame and anchor it to the text in question..

G

• 2. Re: Hanging footnotes in InDesign
            peter minneapolis Level 4

jessicagrant wrote:

I am working on a book design that is using sidenotes (not end or footnotes) and I have some questions:

- Is there a way to format the footnotes so that they run alongside the copy and follow there the corresponding footnote is in the copy? I'm guessing that's not doable but thought I'd ask!

- Can I format the footnotes to hang (see below) and have the numbers right justified?

Basically this image is the look I am going for but with the functionality of footnotes being linked up. I am not laying this out but would like the template to be as easy as possible for the person working on it. Thanks for your help!

Jessica

Screen shot 2012-01-24 at 11.28.34 AM.png

IInDesign can't place text outside text frame margins. Howewver, you can try setting the left indent of the body text paragraph to the footnote's hanging value.

outdented footnotes.png

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices