10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 8:21 AM by Peter Spier

moving pages and masterpages

mae2010

hello,

can somebody help please? I have two documents that have same master pages. when i copy (drag and drop) two pages from one file into the other i get a master page copy over the page that i have copied. what is going on???

many thanks!

• 1. Re: moving pages and masterpages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure waht you mean by "same master pages."  If both documents have master pages with the same name (like Master A, the default name), then the master page for the pages you move will not be carried withthe pages, but will be replaced with the existing master of the same name in the receiving document. This is true for master pages, styles, and swatches -- anything named the same is controlled by the receiving document definition. If you want o move a master page into a new document, just change the name so it is different from all other masters in the new file.

• 2. Re: moving pages and masterpages
            mae2010 Level 1

Hi thanks for your reply.

What I mean is that i have created few different master pages(A, B, C and D)  and have created about 200 pages from these. There are few different files, each containing around 40 pages - all made from these four masterpages . I am now moving pages from one file to the other, but when i drag a spread into the layout, the copy of the masterpage is over the page that i just dragged in. Is the masterpage overwriting the page? And if so, if i take this function off will the page numbers be affected?hope i am making sense? thanks again!

• 3. Re: moving pages and masterpages
              mae2010 Level 1

what i forgot to say is that masterpages have text and boxes on them - and this is what is coming on top of the page that i drag on.... thanks!

• 4. Re: moving pages and masterpages
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Before moving them, make sure the master pages in your document have unique names or the masters in the new document will overwrite the old ones.

IOW, don’t just use A, B, C, and D.

Bob

• 5. Re: moving pages and masterpages
                  mae2010 Level 1

ok, i think i am not explaining myself properly. I have created a book that has 4 different styles of spreads - hence 4 different master pages. there are 8 chapters. i am moving spreads from one chapter into the other, by dragging. once dragged the page has a text box from the masterpage overlaid on top of it.  I have now found out that i need to click on 'show master items' and these boxes from the master pages will dissapear. but then the automatic page numbering goes through the window... nightmare. there must be a simple solution and i cant see it.??

• 6. Re: moving pages and masterpages
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Why are you doing this? Why not just use the book panel?

Bob

• 7. Re: moving pages and masterpages
                      mae2010 Level 1

because i am not sure how to use it - i have just switched from Quark and this is how i used to work. is book panel easy to use? and can i switch at this point? thanks

• 8. Re: moving pages and masterpages

If yo have master pages with the same names, the masters from the receiving document will be used. If that happens, it is as if you reapplied the master, so any exisiting content on the page that was overridden (a master text frame with text that was placed, for example) will be preserved, but all master objects fromthe new master will also become visible. Sounds to me like this is what happened to you.

The book panel is pretty simple. It's just a collection of individual documents and a way to keep them organized. You still do the editing in the individual files.

As a Quark user you are used to needing a text frame before you import text, or to putting a text frame onthe mater page, then clicking to release it to the document page so you can type. ID behaves differntly with repect to importing content (you don't need a frame first) and to how it handles master text frames. In most cases master text frames turn out to be more trouble than they are worth and are not required flow flowing imported text.

• 9. Re: moving pages and masterpages
                          mae2010 Level 1

Thanks Peter, makes sense. But how do you work on large scale project without masterpages - i mean would you create text and picture boxes on each single page rather than just dragging the master down and filling the boxes with new text or picture?

• 10. Re: moving pages and masterpages

A lot depends on the type of project. In ID my rule of thumb is if I need to modify an master page object in order to use it, it probably should not be on the master page. Remember, you don't need a pre-existing frame to place text or images in ID the way you do in Quark. Just use File > Place..., choose the content you want to place, and click, or click and drag, the loaded cursor where you want it. Click and drag will draw a frame to that shape. In the case of an image, since CS3 the frame will be proportional to the image and the image will be scaled to fit.

What happens when you click and release depends on what is loaded into the cursor (which is called the Place Gun, but almost nobody uses the term). For images, click and release places the image at 100% with the top left corner where you click. For text, if you click inside the margins of the page ID will draw a frame from the y-coordinate where you click down to the bottom margin guide, and as wide as the current column guides surround the spot where you click. If you click outside the margins, ID will draw the frame where you click, but will make it the full height and width of a column between the margin guides.

If you have more text to place than will fit into the first frame, holding Shift when you click will add frames and pages as required to place the entire story, and any added frames will fill columns from top to bottom. What this means is that if you set your margins and column guides the size you ant your text blocks, you don't need master text frames at all except for text that won't get edited, like header and footer, or for special cases like two-language documents where you want parallel text flows side by side, or magazine-type layouts that use stock layouts with pre-positioned graphic frames and text that doesn't fill columns (but maybe not even then since text wrap can be used to control how the text flows around the graphics, though you might want to include frames for captions).

If you post some screen shots of the layout, we can offer more concrete suggestions.