7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 10:49 AM by Treblig4167

Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...

ukdeejay Level 1

The Adobe Updater has advised me that Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update is available, but the update fails. The Adobe Support Advisor (ASA) acknowledges an issue, but 'cannot determine the cause or corrective action'. There is no Error number given, just advice to contact Customer Support via . As I am outside the U.S. my only Support options are these Forums. I can only hope that Adobe Support personnel monitor the Forums!

After submitting this post I came across a submit a 'Package for Support', which generated the following Reference number: 00-02208-073525012012. Not sure if this helps!

• 1. Re: Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Actually, this is a User TO User forum...not an official support forum...

Also, the current version of Camera Raw is now 6.6 which you can download directly from the Camera Raw product page. There are some known issues regarding the Adobe Updater, but that's not what this forum is about. Try downloading the update directly.

• 2. Re: Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...
            petelinks

I have the same problem as ukdeejay. Just got an Olympus Pen E-P3 and need Raw 6.5  but only have PS Elements 9. It is available for PSE9 and it runs but fails. As said above, support offer no direct help, just pointing us in the direction of this forum so that you guys, with the knowledge can help. Any ideas will be gratefully received. I have no idea why it failed and there is no indictaion in the error message - just a 'contact support' statement.

• 3. Re: Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...
              Yammer Level 4

Download Camera Raw 6.6 and DNG Converter from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Install DNG Converter. You don't need it but it will also install Camera Profiles for new cameras.

Then, you can extract the Camera Raw plug-in from the download and install it manually. Here's something I wrote on this for an older version for Windows...

Unzipped the file and found two relevant folders in 'payloads':

AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-210510124504 contained the 32-bit plug-in

AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-x64-210510130426 contained the 64-bit plug-in

Within these folders was a filed called Assets2_1.zip

Unzipped the appropriate files and extracted a single file called 1003 or 1002

Renamed the file to 'Camera Raw.8bi'

Backed-up the old plug-ins by renaming and inserting a tilde (~) at the start

Copied the 6.1 version into the same folder:

(64-bit) Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\File Formats\

and/or

(32-bit) Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\File Formats\

I know, it's a bit techy, but there isn't an official way of doing this that I know of.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...
                ukdeejay Level 1

Thanks, Yammer P - I followed your instructions as far as "Unzipped the appropriate files and extracted a single file called 1003 or 1002". Where should I extract the file '1003' to ?

Your next instruction - "Renamed the file to 'Camera Raw.8bi" - has started to lose me. Are you referring to the file '1003' to be renamed?

Then, "Backed-up the old plug-ins by renaming and inserting a tilde (~) at the start" - Where do I find these 'plug-ins' & how/where do I "back them up" to?

Next, "Copied the 6.1 version into the same folder: - ... (32-bit) Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\File Formats\" - what exactly am I copying & from where? (I understand the file_path I need to copy to)

Sorry if I am being a bit dense, but thanks for your post so far regarding this.

• 5. Re: Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...
                  Yammer Level 4

If you look in the folders (64 and 32 bit) mentioned at the end, you will see existing files with the name Camera Raw.8bi. Rename these to disable, by inserting a tilde at the start. The file called 1033 or 1032 in the archive ending in x64 needs renaming to 'Camera Raw.8bi' and copying into the 64-bit folder mentioned above, the other archive's file needs renaming with the same name but copying into the 32-bit folder. Hope that's clearer.

• 6. Re: Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...
                    petelinks Level 1

Hi Yammer P - did what you said (reply 5) AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!

Can now open my Olympus files in Elements 9. Thanks so much.

Lets hope it works for ukdeejay too.

• 7. Re: Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5 Update fails...
                      Treblig4167

I've just had this problem too, with Adobe Updater telling me there were updates for PSE and Prem Elements, only for the update to freeze at the stage it was updating Photoshop Camera Raw 6.5.  I was about to try the solution suggested by Yammer but first checked with Task Manager and I used Task Manager to force close the update.  I then opened the Adobe Updater again.  It still showed the two updates for PSE and PE and so I clicked to install them again.  This time it raced through to the Camera Raw 6.5 bit but didn't freeze and soon completed successfully.  So my suggestion is to kill the first update if it freezes, reopen adobe Updater and run it a second time.