7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 11:37 AM by Peter Spier

CS5.5 InDesign does not load

astrup99x Level 1

I purchased CS5.5 Design Premium on Sunday. I can open InDesign and then load a design document. However, if I double-click a design document then InDesign fails to load and the following message appears.

ERROR-FROM-INDESIGN.gif

So far, none of the other programs in the suite behave this way, double clicking a file of the appropriate type loads the file in the corresponding member of the suite.

InDesign does not.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be doing wrong or a fix for this annoying problem?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

• 1. Re: CS5.5 InDesign does not load
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

First things first. Make sure you’re patched to 7.5.2.

Bob

• 2. Re: CS5.5 InDesign does not load
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you run Suitcase?

• 3. Re: CS5.5 InDesign does not load
              astrup99x Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I searched for updates and the message I got back told me all the CS5.5 software was up to date.

I should say that I tried to invoke InDesign now by clicking on the shortut on my desktop and nothing happened so I tried again and still nothing happened. However, there appears two entries of InDesign.exe *32  in the list of Task Manager processes.

Pat

• 4. Re: CS5.5 InDesign does not load
                astrup99x Level 1

No, I do not run Suitcase.

• 5. Re: CS5.5 InDesign does not load

How about Q2ID? Any other font manager besides Suitacse?

Kill the InDesign.exe process in task manager. Nothing you try is going to work as long as they are already running. Then try opening ID and suing the File menu to open the doc. If that works, try closing it and double-clicking the file while ID is open, and if that works try the double-click with ID closed. Let us know what happens.

• 6. Re: CS5.5 InDesign does not load
                    astrup99x Level 1

No other font manager.

Kill the InDesign.exe process in task manager. Nothing you try is going to work as long as they are already running.

Done that.

Then try opening ID and suing the File menu to open the doc.

That does not work. Just another instance of InDesign.exe in the list of processes but no load.

I removed the instance, which also removed another

running program

, and started InDesign from an icon and it loaded as usual. I used the file menu to open the doc and that worked fine.

I closed the document, and with ID open I double clicked the document and that loaded fine.

I then closed ID and double clicked the document and that did not work properly, ID loaded the file but did not display it. However, the document was created by CS4 InDesign, and therefore the present ID had converted it, but I could not close the document because the Window asking whether I wanted to save the conversion cannot be seen!

This is a mess and I am seriously considering giving back InDesign CS5.5.

I have had no problem with CS4 and the indicated running problem highlighted above. That program is IronKey and has never caused a problem with ID before CS5.5

• 7. Re: CS5.5 InDesign does not load

IronKey is banking securtity software, yes?

There was a problem a couple of years ago with another security program, Trusteer. This sounds like a similar situation, a software conflict, and you can probably just terminate IronKey before using ID for the moment, and report the problem to IronKey. Trusteer issued a patch in a matter of days, and hopefully IronKey would do the same.