10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 3:20 PM by HeyMikey

Help Please - exporting to pdf with links

rollsnut Level 1

I am using CS5.5 on a PC with windows 7

I am just getting into this aspect of my query. I am creatind a document with various sections. The output will be a pdf document and I'd like to have the "links or bookmarks" show up automatically when the file is opened by the users.

I have read the hyperlinks and bookmark sections and tried a few things but am not seeming to get it. I know this has to be a simple process and I need to learn it.

Is there a tutorial somewhere I can go through to learn this?

I hope my query is clear.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad

• 1. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
          iBabs2 Level 1

HI Brad,

I work on a mac, but hopefully this will be similiar.

For the links to show up, make sure you export for PDF (Interactive), not the regular one for (Print).

For your bookmarks to show up on open.

In Acrobat-go to the properties area...on the mac its under the File menu.

In the Properties area, there is a tab called initial view.

Here you can make decisions on how the PDF opens up for the recipient. (you can choose pages and bookmarks as an option). You can also choose what size it opens up etc.
          Again, this is how I do it on the mac, but hopefully you will find something similar.

babs

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
            daevaux Level 1

Hi Brad,

I'm a little unclear about your question. Are you asking how to make the bookmarks panel appear in acrobat when you open the pdf? If so, in Acrobat, go to File > Properties > Initial View > Navigation Tab: Bookmarks Panel and Page.

• 3. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
              rollsnut Level 1

iBabs2 and davaux:

I was a bit unclear and I apologize. I chose bookmarks and want to make sure that when the pdf opens the bookmarks panel will open automatically with the file in Acrobat.

I figured out to use Bookmarks. Thanks to iBabs2 I am exporting to "interactive" and just opening up the panel...for now...NOW my big problem is that when the file opens in Acrobat 2 pages at a time show. There must be one click on the export box I ma doing wrong. EXAMPLE:  When opening in Acrobat page one appears as a single page. When I go to "next" page both 2 and 3 appear side by side. I  am trying to get them to open as single pages. I tried single page options in the export box but still side by side viewing appears.

I have a pdf file that does that.

Sorry for the confusion.

Brad

• 4. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
                daevaux Level 1

hi there. If you export as an interactive pdf you have to export as spreads. If you want individual pages: use the print setting, but in the "include" section make sure to include Bookmarks, Hyperlinks, and interactive elements. Make sure Spreads under pages is NOT selected.

• 5. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
                  rollsnut Level 1

I was advised no to print to a pdf but I went with your solution. In the dialog box I did not find the:

"include" section make sure to include Bookmarks, Hyperlinks, and interactive elements. Make sure Spreads under pages is NOT selected.

you refered to. Not even in the summary. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad

• 6. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
                    HeyMikey Level 3

Hey Brad,

You need to export PDF (Print) to get single page PDFs. In the "General" section, at the bottom in the "Include" section, you'll see checkboxes and a pull-down menu, "Interactive Elements". Check the ones you want, and in the pull-down menu, Choose "Include Appearance". This should get you just what you're looking for.

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 7. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
                      rollsnut Level 1

Mikey -

Thanks for jumping in. I'm still not tracking with the print dialog directions. Here is one shot showing Export and one showing Print....I don't see same steps you are explaining. On left I do have "INCLUDE ALL" checked, not Appearance Only as shown.

Brad

export interactive.jpgprint dialog.jpg

• 8. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
                        YizThisSew

You don't want to use the File/Print option. You want to use the Print Format option within Export. So after you choose Export, look at the bottom of the window and you'll see the Format option: choose Adobe PDF (Print).

• 9. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
                          rollsnut Level 1

YizThisSew -

Ok, the others may have said the same thhing but somehing you said made me think that once in the Export Shell, the Print might have different characteristics. It did what I wanted and that was the difference.

I hav enow written out the path and added a screen shot for my files.

Thanks to you and all others who contributed....I learn something new all the time.

Brad

• 10. Re: Help Please - exporting to pdf with links
                            HeyMikey Level 3

Hi Brad,

Here's the steps to take:

If this helps, give me a star 

-Mikey

Step_1_(Export).jpgStep_2_(General).jpg