4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 12:09 PM by sufirosso

Merging Layers

sufirosso

Hi everybody,

Im dealing with a high volume images (few thousands!) and they all require the same work.

What I need to do is to merge the first layer (which contains the graphics) with four different individual layers below, (which contains 4 different texture)

and save four individual files from PSD to PNG. So basically in the end I need to merge Layer 1 + Layer Texture1, Layer 1 + Layer Texture 2, Layer 1 + Layer Texture3...and so on.

Can somebody please suggest a way to create an action or something to make this process faster?

I`ve tried Scripts_Export layers to Files but it only exports and saves the individual layers but won`t do the merging. I`ve tried Actions but I can`t put together an action that will repeat the for separate merging steps successfully.

Thank you for your help

R.

• 1. Re: Merging Layers
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

If when you state merge Layer 1 + Layer Texture1, Layer 1 + Layer Texture 2, Layer 1 + Layer Texture3...and so on.  You mean the original  Layer 1  one content is used in each merge then the merge saved as a file. Your action would first turn the visibility of all layers off the set the visibility of layer 1 on.  After that you would set the visibility of the next layer to be merged on do  a merge down and save the merge view as a file. Then your action would need to step back in history 3 steps to the step before setting the visibile of the next layer to be merged on the step that turned on the visibility of layer 1. then repete those four steps. Set visibility of the next layer to be merged on, merge down, save view as a file, step back to 3 steps to the previous step back step or all the way back to the se the visibility of layer 1 on. I beleive an action recorded like that would work if all original files are like you wrote have layers: layer 1 plus 4 texture layers above layer 1.

• 2. Re: Merging Layers
            Paul Riggott Level 6

This might do what you want...

http://www.scriptsrus.talktalk.net/Layer%20Saver.htm

EDIT (Pierre Courtejoie): Paul's scripts are now hosted here: https://github.com/Paul-Riggott/PS-Scripts

• 3. Re: Merging Layers
              sufirosso Level 1

Hi

it should work, but the problem is that my History does not records the "turning visibility of a layer off or on" as a step......so I can`t go back 3 steps in history as you suggested. Basically after turning the visibility of all layers off and set the visibility of Layer 1 on, then set the visibility of the next layer on and then save the merged file, I go back to History and all I see is OPEN and MERGE LAYERS.

Is this a limitation of CS3 or a setting/preferences issue...or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

R.

• 4. Re: Merging Layers
                sufirosso Level 1

Thanks a lot.

R.